Sony moves to keep major PlayStation games off PC

Sony keeps – Sony staff were told in a Monday town hall that major single-player narrative games will remain PlayStation exclusive again, with multiplayer and live-service titles continuing to reach PC. The shift marks a reversal from recent years when Sony steadily brough
By Monday morning, it sounded like a promise and a warning at the same time inside PlayStation’s leadership circle.. During a town hall. PlayStation Studio Business CEO Hermen Hulst told staff that Sony will continue bringing multiplayer and live-service titles to PC—but that major single-player narrative games will now be kept exclusive to PlayStation.
The change lands as a sharp turn from how the PlayStation-to-PC era has been shaping up.. Over the last few years. Sony gradually trained PC players to expect that many marquee PlayStation exclusives would eventually appear on Steam.. God of War, Spider-Man, Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima, and The Last of Us all made the jump sooner or later.
The concern wasn’t new.. Earlier this year. reports suggested Sony was planning to stop releasing future single-player PlayStation titles on PC and keep them locked to PS5 instead.. That expectation is now being confirmed through what Hulst reportedly said to staff. with Bloomberg’s Jason Schreier—who originally broke the story in March—providing confirmation.
Under the updated plan, games like Ghost of Yotei and Saros are reportedly no longer planned for Steam releases.
The other side of the lineup is explicitly being protected for PC audiences. Hulst’s message, as described by Schreier, is that multiplayer and live-service titles will still come to PC.
That distinction matters because it redraws where Sony is willing to meet players: not by dismantling the console identity. but by segmenting it.. In practice, single-player narrative games have historically been the product Sony most tightly associated with PlayStation hardware.. When those titles started arriving on Steam on a predictable cadence. the “exclusive” part of the brand started to blur for some buyers—especially those who could already play on PC.
The reversal also sits in a messy real-world record.. Several PlayStation PC ports reportedly underperformed commercially. while others reportedly launched with technical problems. PSN account controversies. or lukewarm player reception.. The end result. as many PC players already felt in storefront queues and reviews. was that Sony’s PC rollout never looked fully consistent: some games arrived years later. while others skipped PC entirely.
The broader question now for PC gamers is how permanent this boundary will be. Schreier’s confirmation points to a clear direction from Sony’s side: keep the narrative single-player slate from following the established Steam path.
And behind the business logic sits a timing pressure that Sony likely doesn’t want to ignore.. Rumors suggest Microsoft’s next Xbox hardware, Project Helix, could integrate PC storefronts like Steam more deeply.. If major PlayStation exclusives are already on Steam. then they become playable across competing ecosystems too—an outcome Sony would likely prefer to prevent.
For now, the stakes are straightforward. Sony is signaling that it still believes selling consoles matters more than earning additional Steam sales years later—especially for the kind of games that once defined what owning a PlayStation meant.
Sony PlayStation PC Steam Hermen Hulst Ghost of Yotei Saros PS5 exclusives PC ports live-service multiplayer
So basically no more PlayStation single player games on PC? lame.
I don’t even get why they can’t just release everything. If multiplayer is gonna be on PC anyway, the single-player part doesn’t make sense. Feels like Sony just wants people to buy a PS5 for no reason.
Wait isn’t Ghost of Yotei like already on PC?? I swear I saw something about it like last year on Steam. Maybe this article is talking about like remasters or something? Either way I’m tired of companies changing plans every 2 minutes.
This is honestly smart for them but also annoying. They’ll keep the live service stuff on PC so people still log in, but the big story games stay locked. I feel like they’re afraid PC will “ruin” the brand identity or whatever. Also I bet this is gonna start more paid console exclusives, even though they say it’s just narrative games.