USA 24

Netflix to air docuseries revisiting Jackson 2005 acquittal

Netflix is releasing a three-part docuseries, ‘Michael Jackson: The Verdict,’ that revisits the entertainer’s 2005 child molestation trial with new interviews and a forensic look at how courtroom events were seen in real time.

By the time the verdict was read in 2005, Michael Jackson’s name had already become inseparable from controversy. Now, more than two decades later, Netflix is turning back to that courtroom moment—when Jackson was acquitted—to look at what the public thought it saw, and what it didn’t.

Netflix announced a three-part docuseries titled “Michael Jackson: The Verdict,” arriving in three 50-minute episodes this June. The series, produced by Candle True Stories, will be led by showrunner David Herman and directed by Nick Green.

The streamer describes the project as a study of key players who were inside the courtroom. set against a legacy that has never cooled. In a statement on Tudum. the filmmakers said it has been 20 years since the trial in which Jackson was found not guilty. but “controversy still rages.” They pointed to the fact that “no cameras were allowed in court. ” leaving the public’s view of the facts “filtered by commentators and presented piecemeal.”.

Their goal, they said, is to take what they called “a forensic look at the trial as a whole.” The docuseries will include new interviews with jurors, onlookers and witnesses, featuring both accusers and defenders.

The 2005 trial centered on allegations that Jackson molested 13-year-old Gavin Arvizo during Arvizo’s stay at Neverland Ranch. The case ended with Jackson’s acquittal.

That outcome is still tangled in a wider dispute over credibility and patterns of allegation that have continued to follow Jackson for years. The series arrives weeks after a separately financed. estate-backed biopic found major mainstream success. a commercial milestone that has also renewed debate over what gets left out.

In the 2005 era itself, one key thread predated the criminal case: in 1993, Jackson settled a $23-million civil lawsuit stemming from allegations involving 13-year-old Jordan Chandler, without admitting to wrongdoing.

image

After Jackson’s death in 2009 at age 50, several former defenders—including Wade Robinson, James Safechuck and the Cascio siblings—accused him of sexual abuse and filed posthumous lawsuits against his estate.

The contrast with the recent film is stark. The hit biopic “Michael. ” which brought in $713 million and counting at the box office. omits all of the sexual abuse allegations. with the movie ending in the late 1980s. With an all-but-confirmed sequel potentially on the table. the legal fallout—and the allegations the earlier film sidestepped—loom over what comes next.

The docuseries also arrives as new legal action continues to shape the story around Jackson’s estate. Four siblings, formerly friends of the Jackson family, have sued the Michael Jackson estate for alleged child sex trafficking.

All of these threads—an acquittal that didn’t quiet the country. prior settlements without admissions. posthumous lawsuits. and new claims aimed at the estate—set up why the Netflix project is being framed as an attempt to reconstruct a courtroom record the public could not directly see. The filmmakers’ emphasis on the absence of cameras and the way commentary shaped understanding makes the docuseries feel less like a recap and more like a reopening of the evidence people think they already know.

“Michael Jackson: The Verdict” will premiere in three parts on June 3, 2026.

Michael Jackson Netflix Michael Jackson: The Verdict docuseries 2005 trial Gavin Arvizo Neverland Ranch David Herman Nick Green Candle True Stories jurors interviews

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Are you human? Please solve:Captcha


Secret Link