Sports

Shocked and gutted: Maguire axed from England World Cup

Harry Maguire has been left out of England’s World Cup squad by manager Thomas Tuchel as a 26-man group is set to be named tomorrow morning. The Manchester United defender, 33, said he is “shocked and gutted,” while the decision lands with his Mykonos police a

Harry Maguire woke up to a cut that feels personal. With Thomas Tuchel preparing to name England’s 26-man World Cup squad tomorrow morning, the Manchester United centre back has not been picked.

The decision leaves Maguire, 33, understood to be “incredulous.” Speaking to talkSPORT, he said: “I was confident I could have played a major part this summer for my country after the season I’ve had.” He added: “I’ve been left shocked and gutted by the decision. I wish the players all the best.”

Tuchel will still have to make difficult calls as England get ready for the tournament in the United States. but Maguire’s omission sits alongside the continuing weight of his 2020 conviction. Prosecutors in Greece earlier this year called for him to be barred from going to the World Cup after he was handed a 15-month suspended sentence.

image

Maguire was convicted of non-serious assault, resisting arrest and attempted bribery over an incident six years earlier. The case was heard following a retrial in the Greek Criminal Appeal Court on the island of Syros in March. Maguire has called the entire matter a “shambles” and said he plans to appeal.

In a statement to Daily Mail Sport. Ioannis Paradissis. the lawyer for the police officers who claimed they were injured during their attempt to arrest Maguire. argued that Maguire should not be permitted to represent higher-level sports teams. including international competitions such as the World Cup—even if he lodges an appeal on points of law only.

image

The lawyer also raised the practical problem of travel: “We also understand there is a game scheduled in the United States. Since he now holds a criminal record, it is highly unlikely he would be granted a visa or ESTA. This would. in any event. prevent him from travelling to or competing there and thus be a problem for his team.”.

England’s squad decision also affects the defender’s place in international history. Maguire has earned 66 caps for the Three Lions and has represented them at three major tournaments. He was part of the team that reached the semi-finals at Russia 2018 and the quarter-finals at Qatar 2022.

image

But his recent involvement has been reduced. Maguire was left out of England’s Euro 2024 squad after failing to recover from an injury. and he has featured in just three England matches since then. He started the first match of Lee Carsley’s interim spell against the Republic of Ireland in September 2024. Under Tuchel. Maguire’s only appearances came in the most recent international friendlies in March—playing the full duration of a 1-1 draw with Uruguay and then featuring for seven minutes in a 1-0 home defeat by Japan.

Tuchel’s World Cup plans point elsewhere, too. Levi Colwill—23 and a Chelsea centre back—was named on Tuchel’s 55-man long list last week and is in contention to be picked on Friday, despite missing most of the season with an ACL injury.

For Maguire, the timing is stark. He has just signed a new contract at Manchester United after turning his career around this season under manager Michael Carrick, yet he now finds himself missing from the World Cup squad being finalized as England prepare to travel to the United States.

Harry Maguire England World Cup squad Thomas Tuchel Manchester United Levi Colwill Mykonos assault case Greece prosecutors 2026 World Cup United States

4 Comments

  1. I feel bad for Maguire, but also like… why is this police stuff still following him around. If he really got a suspended sentence then they should’ve just picked him and moved on.

  2. Wait so they’re saying he was convicted AND also ‘attempted bribery’? That sounds like something straight out of a movie. But then the article says he’s appealing, so how is he even allowed to be considered for anything, period. Seems like the whole thing is a shambles and the manager is using it as cover.

  3. Shocked and gutted lol yeah cuz he probably thought he was guaranteed. Also the Mykonos police part sounds personal, like he got on the wrong cop’s bad side or something. And they said barred from the World Cup after the 2020 conviction… but it’s 2026/US World Cup stuff now, so I’m lost. Is this about football or about politics cuz they keep mentioning appeals and lawyers and all that.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Are you human? Please solve:Captcha


Secret Link