USA Today

Red Sox slow Roman Anthony again after finger soreness

Roman Anthony is still sidelined from a sprained ligament in his right ring finger after soreness flared when he tried swinging a bat Monday. Interim manager Chad Tracy said the Red Sox will pull back until at least the off day, pushing Anthony’s return to no

When Roman Anthony tried to swing a bat again on Monday, it didn’t go the way the Red Sox were hoping.

Interim manager Chad Tracy said ahead of Monday’s game against the Royals that Anthony felt soreness while swinging. a setback that led Boston to shut him down from some baseball activities until Thursday. “For the time being, we’re probably going to back off until we get through the off day,” Tracy said. “Obviously we’re not going to have him swinging through soreness and discomfort. So not as good of news today. But we will back off and see what happens after the off day with a few more days of rest.”.

It’s a discouraging turn for the 21-year-old outfielder. who has already spent much of this season dealing with injuries and has been limited to just 30 games. The finger issue began on May 4 in a road victory in Detroit. when Anthony fouled off a pitch on a check swing and flexed his right hand in discomfort. Tracy and Red Sox head athletic trainer Brandon Henry came out to speak with him. and Anthony took a few practice swings before staying in the game. He grounded into a fielder’s choice two pitches later, then exited in the next inning.

Boston initially hoped Anthony could avoid the injured list. He eventually landed on the shelf on May 7. Still. when he spoke about the injury. Anthony said he expected to miss only the minimum amount of time and return to the lineup on May 15 to begin Boston’s road series against the Braves. “For me. where I stand right now. how it’s gone on and the way it’s felt over the last few days. when the IL stint is over. I plan to be in that game the next day. ” Anthony told MLB.com.

That timeline didn’t hold. Anthony is now not expected back until at least this upcoming weekend series against the Twins, and even that may be a stretch, given what’s happened over the past few days.

image

The longer Anthony stays out. the clearer it becomes how much his availability has been shaped by health setbacks that have followed him since the end of last season. His breakout year in 2025 was cut short in early September by an oblique strain that sidelined him for the remainder of the year. including Boston’s playoff run during the Wild Card round against the Yankees. Earlier this season, he also missed four games in late April due to a nagging back issue.

In 30 games this season, Anthony is slashing .229/.354/.321 with one home run and five RBI.

After his May 7 setback, Anthony sounded determined to return with the team. “As you would expect, I’d like to be there with the guys,” Anthony said on May 7. “I’m happy that they got the job done in Detroit, got a great sweep. I think the team. we look great.” He added that the timing was frustrating after he felt himself finding rhythm in the box: “For me. it was frustrating. and I started to feel good in the box. Started to really settle in. And never want things like that to happen, but it’s part of it. So. just got to get better as best I can. and do what I can to get back out there with the guys.”.

Now, with the Red Sox choosing rest and restraint again after Monday’s soreness, Anthony’s next opportunity depends on whether the off day brings real improvement—something his latest swing has not yet confirmed.

Roman Anthony Boston Red Sox Chad Tracy Brandon Henry Royals Twins finger injury sprained ligament injured list oblique strain MLB

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Are you human? Please solve:Captcha


Secret Link