Trump, WHO chief are ‘concerned’ about Ebola outbreak

Trump and – President Donald Trump said he is “concerned” about the Ebola outbreak after an American tested positive for a strain with no licensed vaccine or treatment. The WHO’s director-general and the WHO representative in the Democratic Republic of the Congo warned ab
When President Donald Trump answered reporters at a White House event on May 19, the question was direct: should Americans be worried about Ebola after an American tested positive for the virus.
Trump did not brush it off. “I’m concerned about everything, but certainly am,” he said. “I think that, you know, it’s been confined right now to Africa. But it’s something that has had a breakout.”
The exchange came as the World Health Organization flagged a fast-growing outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo and neighboring countries. First identified by WHO on May 5. the outbreak is believed to have infected hundreds so far—an early warning signal that has now drawn intense international scrutiny. especially because the specific Ebola strain involved has no licensed vaccine or treatment.
Dr. Heidi Overton. deputy director of the White House Domestic Policy Council. said during the same May 19 briefing that no Ebola cases had been confirmed in the United States. She added that one American missionary who tested positive for the outbreak strain—Bundibugyo virus—will be evacuated to Germany for medical care. along with six other Americans who are considered “high risk.”.
U.S. authorities have also implemented travel and entry restrictions for non-citizens who have recently been to Uganda, the Democratic Republic of Congo and South Sudan.
Across the Atlantic, WHO officials described an emergency defined by urgency and vulnerability. In a statement on Tuesday, May 19, the WHO representative in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Dr. Anne Ancia. called the situation “deeply concerning.” She said the outbreak involves “this species of Ebola” for which “there is no licensed vaccine or treatment. ” adding that “supportive care is lifesaving.”.
Ancia pointed to the conditions around the outbreak—“a highly complex epidemiological, operational and humanitarian context – marked by insecurity, population displacement, and both densely populated and remote areas.”
WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus echoed that alarm on May 19, telling attendees of the 79th World Health Assembly that he was “deeply concerned about the scale and speed of the epidemic.”
Even as WHO described the outbreak as a “public health emergency of international concern”—a category used for “serious, sudden, unusual, or unexpected” events that pose a risk internationally—it said on Sunday, May 17, that the outbreak still did not meet the criteria of a pandemic emergency.
The numbers shared by health officials showed why the language matters. As of May 19, the Democratic Republic of the Congo Ministry of Health reported more than 500 suspected cases, including 130 suspected deaths. WHO said just over 30 of those cases were confirmed, and that the true number of infections is likely higher.
U.S. officials, meanwhile, have kept the focus on containment at home. Risk in the United States remains low, according to officials, even as they tightened entry rules and moved one confirmed patient and other high-risk Americans toward medical care abroad.
The policy and public-health tension is also landing in Washington at a politically sensitive moment. Critics of the Trump administration’s withdrawal from broader public health initiatives and the WHO say the Ebola surge underscores how quickly emerging outbreaks can turn into domestic concerns.
With WHO warning that speed and scale are outpacing what many systems are built to handle. the immediate questions for Americans are about timing and preparedness: how quickly can cases be identified. how tightly can travel rules limit exposure. and what happens if the outbreak accelerates faster than restrictions can keep up.
Ebola outbreak Democratic Republic of the Congo Bundibugyo virus WHO Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus Anne Ancia Heidi Overton travel restrictions U.S. evacuation to Germany public health emergency of international concern