USA 24

Trump says 5,000 troops headed to Poland despite cuts

President Donald Trump says 5,000 additional U.S. troops will be sent to Poland, reversing course after the Pentagon said it would cut brigade combat teams in Europe. Lawmakers are pushing back, pointing to a broader conflict between Trump’s threat to reduce f

When President Donald Trump posted that “the United States will be sending an additional 5. 000 Troops to Poland. ” the timing landed like a jolt. It came days after the Pentagon said it would reduce U.S. forces in Europe to levels not seen since before Russia launched its attack on Ukraine—and two days after the Pentagon described a shift that would effectively cancel a scheduled rotational deployment to Poland of roughly 4. 000 Army troops currently stationed in Texas.

Trump made the announcement in a Truth Social post May 21, attributing it to his “relationship” with Poland’s newly elected President, Karol Nawrocki, whom he said he “was proud to Endorse.”

The statement appeared to collide with the Pentagon’s May 19 announcement that it would cut the number of brigade combat teams assigned to Europe from four to three. a move the Pentagon framed as pushing NATO allies to “take primary responsibility for Europe’s conventional defense.” In that same Pentagon statement. the reduction was tied to incentivizing allies rather than keeping the existing pace of deployments.

Complicating the picture, the Trump administration had been floating a broader idea: reducing the U.S. military footprint in Europe—roughly 85,000 troops—so it could pressure countries that were not supporting Trump’s war in Iran. In recent weeks, Trump had threatened European leaders with withdrawals that were meant as consequences. Earlier this month, the military said 5,000 U.S. troops would be withdrawn from Germany. a move that came shortly after Friedrich Merz. the president of Germany. said Iran had “humiliated” the United States in the war.

Rubber-meets-road pressure around the Strait of Hormuz has been part of the same dispute. Trump and Pentagon chief Pete Hegseth have lambasted European countries for not doing more to help release Iran’s grip on the Strait of Hormuz. a key shipping channel Tehran seized in retaliation for the U.S. and Israeli joint attack in late February.

Officials say they are not contradicting themselves—even as the announcements keep landing at different angles. Secretary of State Marco Rubio. speaking to reporters May 22. described the proposed troop reductions as “constantly reevaluating the threat matrix in the world.” He also conceded the political and public reaction. saying: “None of this is surprising. although I understand why it creates some nervousness.”.

Rubio added: “There’s a broad recognition that there’s going to be less troops in Europe than there have historically been.”

Vice President JD Vance echoed a framing of movement rather than retreat. On the day the announced cuts to troops in Poland were first discussed—before Trump’s Truth Social post—Vance told reporters. “we’re not talking about pulling every single American troop out of Europe. We’re talking about shifting some resources around in a way that maximizes American security.” He added: “I don’t think that’s bad for Europe. that’s encouraging Europe to take more ownership.”.

Vance also characterized the shift as a “delay,” telling reporters: “Those troops could go elsewhere in Europe.”

Becca Wasser, who heads research on defense issues at Bloomberg Economics’ geoeconomics team, described the public flip-flop as a misalignment that has consequences of its own. She said the Pentagon may have moved to rebuke Poland before Trump had fully signaled a change.

“There’s a disconnect between the Pentagon and the White House,” Wasser said.

Wasser argued that in trying to force Europe to take more responsibility—and “punish various countries in Europe”—the Pentagon ended up “punishing a country that President Trump has held up as an example of a model ally.” She said the decision may have been recommended by the Pentagon’s Global Posture Review. a document the Trump administration decided. for the first time in decades. not to publicize. according to Politico.

Wasser also pointed to comfort levels inside the alliance: “There’s a different level of comfort when it comes down to removing troops from Germany than there is from Poland.”

image

It also remains unclear where the additional 5,000 troops would come from. The Pentagon did not specify whether they would be drawn from the same Army unit initially scheduled to deploy to Poland or from a different unit entirely. When asked about the source of the forces, the Pentagon referred questions to the White House. The White House response pointed back to Trump’s Truth Social post, which simply said the troops would be deployed.

The tension has not stayed inside briefing rooms. Lawmakers have moved quickly to criticize what they see as abrupt troop reshuffling and the political leverage being used against allies.

This year’s defense policy bill includes a limit: the number of American troops on the continent cannot drop below 76,000. Still, the announcements have drawn anger across party lines among lawmakers who believe the decisions are being made too fast—and with too little clarity.

Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Michigan, chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, told Army leaders at a budget hearing last week, after news of the cuts broke, “We don’t know what’s going on here, but I can just tell you we’re not happy.”

Sen. Thom Tillis. R-North Carolina. wrote on X on May 16 that the force posture changes were “amateur hour at best and deadly at worst. ” also referencing moves by Pete Hegseth and other Trump administration officials to force out some of the Army’s general officers. including the firing of Army chief of staff Randy George.

The Germany withdrawal adds another layer to the controversy. The withdrawal of troops from Germany would scale back a buildup of U.S. troops in Europe implemented by the Biden administration after Russia’s 2022 invasion of Ukraine.

A Bloomberg analysis by Wasser and other analysts said the move would likely have “limited” impact because at least 36. 000 U.S. troops are stationed in Germany. But the analysis also said the change would likely halt the deployment of a U.S. Army battalion specializing in long-range fires—capabilities Europe would struggle to backfill with its own troops.

Underlying all of it is the larger bargaining framework. After Trump demanded European allies spend more, NATO agreed last year to increase the amount each country spends on defense to 5% of its GDP.

Taken together. the sequence matters to the people who live with the consequences—troops. alliance partners. and lawmakers trying to plan beyond the next announcement. The Pentagon laid out one direction for Europe. then Trump publicly signaled another. sending a message that the alliance’s future posture is being rewritten in real time.

United States troops Poland NATO Pentagon Europe troop cuts brigade combat teams Germany withdrawal Marco Rubio JD Vance Pete Hegseth Strait of Hormuz Mike Rogers Thom Tillis

4 Comments

  1. This sounds like the Pentagon saying one thing and Trump posting another like it’s a group chat. Also Poland just elected someone? Why does that matter to my job in the US.

  2. Wait I thought they already had like 4,000 in Texas, so the 5,000 is just replacing that? Or is it 5,000 extra like he said? Because the article makes it sound like both at the same time.

  3. Trump “reversing course” after the Pentagon cuts is wild. I’m not even sure this is about Russia anymore, feels more like politics with Poland. And truth social posts don’t exactly count as official orders right? Somebody should clarify before people freak out.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Are you human? Please solve:Captcha


Secret Link