Trending now

Trump orders 5,000 more troops to Poland, roiling Europe

Trump sends – President Donald Trump announced the United States will send an additional 5,000 troops to Poland, a reversal after an earlier order to pull 5,000 troops from Germany. The move lands amid canceled US deployments to Europe, including a combat team rotation expe

When President Donald Trump posted that the United States would send an additional 5,000 troops to Poland, it landed like a sudden pivot in the middle of a much louder argument: whether America is tightening or reshaping its military presence in Europe.

Trump announced the move on Thursday. framing it as a result of his close relationship with Poland’s right-wing populist President Karol Nawrocki. The message contradicted the direction of earlier actions from the administration. including Trump’s own announcement earlier this month that he would pull 5. 000 troops from Germany.

“The successful Election of the now President of Poland, Karol Nawrocki, who I was proud to Endorse, and our relationship with him,” Trump wrote, saying he was “pleased to announce that the United States will be sending an additional 5,000 Troops to Poland.”

For now, what remains unclear is the basic question European allies have been trying to pin down since the earlier reductions began: where would those 5,000 troops actually come from, and how would they change the overall number of US forces stationed across Europe?

The announcement adds to the uncertainty already created by a week earlier. when Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth stopped a scheduled deployment of a combat team expected to rotate through Poland. The Pentagon said the decision was driven by frustration with European nations that “not stepped up when America needed them.”.

Hegseth’s move did not stop at the Poland rotation. A memo signed by Hegseth halted the scheduled deployment of the 2nd Armored Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division. It was expected to rotate through Poland and other countries including the Baltic states and Romania. according to two defense officials. Some personnel from the brigade were already in Europe and were ordered to redeploy back to the US.

The memo also canceled a future deployment to Germany of a battalion specializing in firing long-range rockets and missiles. It directed that a command in Europe overseeing those capabilities be removed from the continent.

One defense official said the canceled brigade deployment involved roughly 4,700 soldiers, and the canceled long-range rocket and missile battalion involved over 500 soldiers.

That decision triggered criticism inside the US Congress. Republican lawmakers said the Pentagon canceled scheduled troop deployments without consulting Congress and that Poland was “blindsided.” Republican Rep. Don Bacon said at a House Armed Services Committee hearing that Hegseth’s cancellation was “reprehensible” and “an embarrassment to our country what we just did to Poland.”.

Set against that turbulence, Trump’s Poland post also comes after a separate flare-up earlier this month involving Germany. Trump announced he was pulling 5. 000 troops from Germany. where Chancellor Friedrich Merz said the United States was being “humiliated” in its war with Iran—language that angered Trump.

Still, Polish officials tried to calm the immediate shock. Polish ministers indicated the announcement would not substantially change troop numbers in Poland.

Poland’s foreign minister, Radosław Sikorski, thanked Trump for his “announcement that the presence of American troops in Poland will be maintained more or less at previous levels.” Before a meeting of NATO’s foreign ministers in Sweden Friday, Sikorski told reporters, “All’s well that ends well.”

Władysław Kosiniak-Kamysz, Poland’s defense minister, said Poland won’t lose any US troops. “One thing is certain, Poland is certainly not losing what it had – around 10,000 soldiers,” he told reporters.

At the NATO meeting, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio offered a different framing—insisting that the troop shifts were not meant as punishment, but as something closer to logistics and alignment with broader commitments.

“Any troop movement is ‘not a punitive thing,’” Rubio told reporters. “it’s just something that’s ongoing” as the US marshals its resources to meet its “global commitments.”

Rubio added that decisions are viewed through the context of “some of the frictions that we’ve had in recent months. ” but he said alliance partners understand that “the United States troop presence in Europe is going to be adjusted.” He said this work was already ongoing and “done in coordination with our allies.”.

NATO’s chief Mark Rutte welcomed Trump’s announcement. according to reporting after the meeting. but he also pointed to a direction NATO wants—toward a Europe that is “less reliant on one ally only.” After the meeting. Rutte declined to share details about any potential US plans to reduce the number of troops available to NATO allies in a crisis. calling the information “highly classified.”.

Poland is a NATO member and has served as the main hub for Western military aid flowing into Ukraine since Russia’s invasion in 2022. In 2023, the US established the US Army Garrison Poland, solidifying its military footprint there. The US typically has about 10,000 troops stationed in Poland.

The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment from CNN, and the Pentagon referred questions to the White House.

Trump’s announcement also triggered a direct response from Warsaw. Nawrocki thanked Trump in a post on X Thursday. calling the US-Poland alliance “a vital pillar of security for every Polish home and for all of Europe.” He said. “Good alliances are those based on cooperation. mutual respect. and a commitment to our shared security.”.

Nawrocki was elected in June 2025 and visited the Oval Office for a meeting with Trump in September, where he thanked Trump for his endorsement.

Last week, the abrupt cancellations and personnel removals contributed to a reduction of US troops in Europe by roughly 5,000. The latest step—Trump’s declaration of 5. 000 additional troops to Poland—creates a new focal point of uncertainty: even if Polish officials insist their troop levels will remain roughly steady. the broader question of where America is drawing its lines in Europe is no longer just about numbers.

It is about sequencing, signaling, and trust—how quickly plans change, and how allies are expected to plan when the US posture seems to move by surprise rather than a clear public roadmap.

Donald Trump Poland US troops NATO Pete Hegseth 2nd Armored Brigade Combat Team 1st Cavalry Division US Army Garrison Poland Karol Nawrocki Radosław Sikorski Władysław Kosiniak-Kamysz Marco Rubio Mark Rutte Friedrich Merz

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Are you human? Please solve:Captcha


Secret Link