USA 24

Prince William to sell parts of Duchy for 500m

sell parts – Prince William plans to sell roughly 20% of the Duchy of Cornwall over the next decade to fund plans to invest more than £500 million in local communities, including affordable housing and environmental projects—an effort that comes amid past scrutiny of how r

LONDON — Prince William is preparing to sell off parts of the Duchy of Cornwall over the next decade, moving real estate into cash in a bid to unlock more than £500 million for local communities.

The plan. outlined in a May 17 report. would mean sales equal to roughly 20% of the estate. which is among Britain’s biggest landowners. The Duchy’s portfolio spans large stretches of land as well as commercial and residential property. giving it the kind of scale that can reshape neighborhoods when capital is deployed.

The stated goal is direct investment in areas such as affordable housing and environmental projects. Will Bax, chief executive of the Duchy of Cornwall, said the focus is on doing more where the Duchy can make the biggest difference.

“The Duchy should exist to make a positive impact, particularly in the communities where we can make the biggest difference,” Bax said in remarks reported earlier by The Times.

“That ambition requires significant investment and, in some cases, means rebalancing what we own in order to be as impactful as possible to our communities, now and in the future,” Bax added.

Bax said the money would be “largely funded by reinvesting capital from across the Duchy, alongside development income, partnerships and some borrowing,” with the sales themselves helping provide the broader funding pool.

The Duchy of Cornwall—established in 1337 by King Edward III—is one of two royal duchies. Royal duchies function as land management and financial investment entities that can operate in ways similar to a corporation or a trust. with income typically payable to the British royal known as the Duke of Cornwall.

image

The financial decisions now being weighed carry added sensitivity because of how public scrutiny has intensified in recent years. William received a private income of more than 20 million pounds (approximately $30.9 million) from the Duchy last year. His father, King Charles III, and William have faced criticism over the management of their estates.

According to aides, William has been looking closely at how the Duchy has been run since he inherited it in 2022.

In 2024. a Sunday Times report and a separate TV documentary accused Charles and William of making millions from the country’s health service. army. and schools through charges imposed by their respective estates. After those claims, the Duchy reduced rents significantly for a number of charity and community tenants.

Alongside the shift now described, the Duchy has leaned into environmental ambitions as well. Inspired by Prince William’s environmental philanthropy, it has created “environmentally sustainable” neighborhoods and pledged to become a net-zero organization by 2032.

Taken together, the sequence is hard to miss: the Duchy is tying major community spending to a plan that involves selling a sizable portion of its holdings, while also pointing to earlier changes—like rent reductions—and longer-term environmental commitments.

Where that leaves the story now is at a moment of real allocation: capital raised from property sales over the next decade would be expected to fund investment goals that include affordable housing and environmental projects. with the Duchy presenting the sales as a “rebalancing” meant to increase its impact. The public debate over how royal wealth is translated into community benefit remains part of the backdrop as the plans take shape.

Prince William Duchy of Cornwall royal duchies estate sales affordable housing environmental projects King Charles III Will Bax rent reductions net-zero by 2032 United Kingdom land ownership

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Are you human? Please solve:Captcha


Secret Link