Premier League chief insists Man City’s 115 charges saga is ‘NOT top of the list’ in conversations with rival clubs – and adds verdict will take ‘as long as it takes’

Premier League boss Richard Masters has claimed that Manchester City’s ongoing 115 charges saga is ‘not necessarily top of the list’ when it comes to his conversations with clubs.
City’s trial – over allegations of repeated breaches of the top-flight’s financial controls – ended in December 2024 but an eagerly-awaited verdict remains outstanding, despite the fact it is now well over three years since they were originally charged.
Four Premier League sides have reserved the right to seek compensation should City be found guilty and it would appear that much of football is desperate for an outcome.
However, Masters suggested that the noise in boardrooms up and down the country is not as loud as one might imagine.
‘I obviously speak to clubs all the time,’ he said. ‘It’s not necessarily a topic of conversation that is top of the list. (There are) Lots of other things to talk about and do. The Premier League moves on. It’s starting (again) on Friday evening.’
Masters has previously admitted to being frustrated by the length of time the independent panel is taking to return its verdict, which could see City exonerated or facing historic penalties.
Premier League boss Richard Masters has claimed that Manchester City’s ongoing 115 charges saga is ‘not necessarily top of the list’ when it comes to his conversations with clubs
City’s trial – over allegations of repeated breaches of the top-flight’s financial controls – ended in December 2024 but a verdict remains outstanding. City deny all wrongdoing
‘The process is the process,’ he said. ‘It will resolve itself. But as you know, I literally can’t say a thing about it. There’s only one available option, which is to allow the process to reach its natural conclusion. I can’t talk about the substance of the case. I can’t talk about the timing of the case. Our rules are very clear about that. I understand that people are frustrated but it will take as long as it takes.’
The Premier League’s latest domestic broadcast deal has seen the amount paid per game fall by around £2.5m.
Some have wondered if that is an indicator that fans are getting fed up of various litigations, with Nottingham Forest, Everton and Leicester City docked points in recent times.
But when asked if the perceived lenient penalty, a £10m fine handed to Chelsea for repeated backhanders, suggested there was a desire to move on from docking points, Masters denied that was the case.
‘I don’t think litigation and broadcast deals are necessarily associated,’ he said. ‘I do think litigation is to be avoided.
‘It should be a last resort within a league system or generally. I think that is generally the attitude that is taken by stakeholders in the game. Litigation is a last resort.’