Politics

OAN weighs claiming Trump slush fund money

OAN weighs – One America News, a pro-Trump network that pushed false claims about the 2020 election, is reportedly considering filing a claim for money from a taxpayer-funded slush fund announced by acting Attorney General Todd Blanche. The move comes as critics argue the

For a network that helped spread baseless 2020 election claims, the prospect of taxpayer-backed compensation is suddenly on the table.

One America News is “seriously considering” seeking payment from the slush fund announced earlier this week by acting Attorney General Todd Blanche. according to a report from CNN. A lawyer for OAN told the outlet the company is “seriously considering pursuing rights under this fund and will make a decision shortly about whether to file a claim.”.

The timing is striking. OAN has already paid for its role in election conspiracy messaging—multiple defamation lawsuits tied to the 2020 election conspiracies led major cable providers to drop the network after it settled. Now. it is weighing whether it can translate that history into a legal claim under a fund that critics say was designed for a different purpose.

CNN also reached out to Fox News to ask whether it would seek a claim under the same fund, the report said. Fox News, like OAN, settled a defamation lawsuit brought by Dominion Voting Systems for $787 million. As of the report, Fox News had not responded.

The proposed claims could extend well beyond broadcasters. The report said that nearly 1,600 Jan. 6 insurrectionists and 2020 election deniers would be eligible to file claims under the fund.

That eligibility is at the center of a fast-moving legal fight. The fund was met with opposition from both parties and faced a swift court challenge brought by two police officers injured during the attack on the Capitol. Former U.S. Capitol Police Officer Harry Dunn and former Metropolitan Police Officer Daniel Hodges argue in their suit that the fund will directly finance far-right extremists.

Their lawsuit also points to constitutional limits. They say the fund violates the 14th Amendment’s clause prohibiting the U.S. government from paying any debt or obligation “incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States.”

Taken together, the dispute is turning into a test of how far the government will go to compensate people tied to Jan. 6 and election falsehoods—and whether the legal system will treat those ties as something to reward or something the Constitution forbids.

For OAN. the question now is immediate: whether it files a claim at all. and what it means for a network already pushed out by cable providers after defamation settlements. For the officers who sued. the fight is also immediate: they want the courts to stop the fund before it becomes a mechanism for funding what they say are extremist agendas.

One America News OAN Todd Blanche slush fund Jan. 6 Harry Dunn Daniel Hodges Dominion Voting Systems 14th Amendment defamation election conspiracies Fox News

4 Comments

  1. So they want taxpayers to pay OAN now? That’s wild. I bet they’ll call it “justice” or whatever.

  2. I don’t get it, this is like the government paying for bad behavior. But also didn’t Trump say the Dominion stuff was fake? Now everyone’s suing everybody lol

  3. OAN “slush fund” is probably just PR. They probably gonna claim it’s for journalists or something. Also I’m confused because the article says Todd Blanche announced it, but Blanche is acting AG so like who even approved that? Seems like payoffs to me.

  4. People keep saying “taxpayer funded,” but I think it’s more like settlements? Like court money? If there’s a fund then yeah OAN will try it because they’re desperate. And if Fox doesn’t respond then that means they’re already doing it… right? Anyway Jan 6 stuff getting compensation just feels wrong.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Are you human? Please solve:Captcha


Secret Link