Married at First Sight U.K. Pulled Amid Rape Claims

All episodes of Married at First Sight U.K. have been removed from Channel 4’s streaming and linear services after multiple allegations of rape from former contestants. A BBC Panorama investigation aired claims from three women, Channel 4 said it commissioned
The morning after BBC Panorama aired allegations of rape involving Married at First Sight U.K. the program quietly disappeared from Channel 4’s platform. All episodes have now been pulled from the network’s streaming and linear services. as Channel 4 says it has commissioned an external review into contributor welfare—steps taken as the controversy widens beyond the screen.
The investigation, broadcast on Monday, May 18, brought forward multiple claims from former contestants. Two women—both unnamed—said they were sexually assaulted while filming.
One anonymous woman alleged that her husband on the show raped her and later threatened her with an acid attack.
A second anonymous woman said she had told Channel 4 and the production company CPL about her alleged rape by her husband before the episodes aired. She described an attempt to bring her abuse to light, but her episodes were still shown.
A third woman, Shona Manderson, accused her onscreen husband of a nonconsensual sex act.
All of the men involved denied the claims.
The BBC report said Channel 4 was aware of the allegations before broadcast but told Panorama they were “wholly uncorroborated and disputed.”
Channel 4 has also scrubbed its Married at First Sight U.K. social media accounts amid the controversy. Travel company Tui told the BBC it was pausing its sponsorship of the show.
On the question of what Channel 4 did when the claims were raised, the channel pointed to the process it says it follows to protect contributors. A Channel 4 representative confirmed the network commissioned an external review into contributor welfare on the show in April.
In a statement, Channel 4 said MAFS U.K. is produced under “some of the most comprehensive and robust welfare protocols in the industry. ” including “the most thorough background checks available. ” a Code of Conduct setting out behavioral standards. daily contributor check-ins with a specialist welfare team. and access to additional support before. during and after filming.
The statement added: “The physical and psychological well-being of all contributors is of paramount importance throughout the process. All duty of care processes are regularly reviewed and, where appropriate, strengthened.”
Channel 4 also addressed an open letter. saying it acknowledged it had been presented last month with “serious allegations of wrongdoing against a small number of past contributors. ” and that the channel understood those contributors have denied the accusations. Channel 4 said that when concerns were raised. “prompt and appropriate action was taken. based on the information available at the time. ” and it “strongly refutes any claim to the contrary.”.
The review now being conducted is by law firm Clyde & Co. It will examine the welfare protocols in place on the show when the claims were raised, and whether changes should be made to current protocols.
All of the claims land in a single hard-to-ignore contradiction: women describe making allegations known before broadcast. while Channel 4 says the allegations were disputed and denies wrongdoing. Channel 4’s action now—pulling episodes. commissioning a review. and addressing contributor welfare—centers what happens after distress is reported. not just what is shown onscreen.
In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Channel 4 chief executive Priya Dogra said: “I want to express my sympathy to contributors who have clearly been distressed after taking part in Married at First Sight U.K. The well-being of our contributors is always of paramount importance.”
Dogra said Channel 4 “acted quickly, appropriately, sensitively and with well-being front and center.”
She added that it would be “wholly inappropriate” to comment on what she called “very serious allegations” that are disputed by contributors accused of wrongdoing. Dogra said Channel 4 is also mindful of its duty of care and the need to preserve anonymity and privacy.
She then explained why the review was commissioned: “Nevertheless. because we aspire to the highest standards of contributor welfare. I felt strongly as Channel 4’s new CEO that it was right that we look again at how we handled issues raised at the time and ask whether changes should be made to further strengthen contributor welfare. … That’s why last month I commissioned an external review of contributor welfare on MAFS U.K. That review will report to me in the coming months.”.
For viewers and anyone affected, sexual violence is never something to watch from a safe distance. If you or someone you know has been sexually assaulted, the National Sexual Assault Hotline can be reached at 1-800-656-HOPE (4673).
Married at First Sight U.K. Channel 4 BBC Panorama rape allegations contributor welfare Clyde & Co Priya Dogra CPL Tui sponsorship