Judge Suppresses Backpack Evidence in Mangione Murder Case

Judge suppresses – A judge ruled Monday that key evidence in Luigi Mangione’s state murder case will be suppressed, including an ammunition magazine found in his backpack. The decision follows arguments that police conducted an unreasonable search at a McDonald’s in December 202
Luigi Mangione just got a significant setback for the prosecution in his state murder case, after a judge ruled Monday that several key pieces of evidence will not be used at trial—including an ammunition magazine found in his backpack.
The ruling came after Mangione’s attorneys argued that officers illegally searched his backpack when he was arrested at a McDonald’s in December 2024. only days after Brian Thompson was gunned down in New York City.. The judge agreed. calling the McDonald’s search “unreasonable” and stating there were no emergency circumstances that could justify it—meaning items found during that search are now suppressed.
Authorities previously said they recovered a 3D-printed silencer. a fake ID allegedly used to check into a Manhattan hostel. and journals they said contained rants against the health insurance industry.. Mangione’s defense is also fighting to block statements he allegedly made to police before he was extradited to New York on December 19. 2024. arguing investigators failed to properly read him his Miranda rights before questioning him.
The state case against Mangione includes charges of murder. criminal possession of a weapon. and possession of a forged instrument tied to an alleged fake ID.. In the federal case. he has faced charges including stalking and murder with a firearm. though a judge later tossed the murder/firearm count—removing the death penalty from the table.
Mangione has pleaded not guilty across the board. His state trial is currently set for September 2026, while the federal case is expected to begin early next year.
The judge’s decision ties the admissibility of multiple pieces of evidence to the same moment: the arrest search at the McDonald’s in December 2024.. With the court finding that search “unreasonable” and unsupported by emergency circumstances. the items recovered from that backpack—including an ammunition magazine—are now barred. alongside the broader effort by his legal team to prevent other statements tied to his pre-extradition questioning.
For Mangione, the stakes remain high as the case moves toward scheduled proceedings—September 2026 in state court and a federal start early next year—while both sides continue to fight over what jurors will be allowed to hear.
Luigi Mangione Brian Thompson murder case judge rules suppressed evidence backpack search McDonald's arrest Miranda rights extradited December 19 2024 3D-printed silencer fake ID Manhattan hostel journals stalking death penalty removed