Judge orders White House to preserve Trump records

judge orders – A federal judge on Wednesday rejected the Trump administration’s argument that the Presidential Records Act doesn’t apply, ordering the White House to preserve presidential records—including text messages among senior staff—temporarily as the case proceeds.
A federal judge’s order landed like a hard stop in the middle of a fight over what the White House must keep and what it can discard. On Wednesday. the Trump administration was told to preserve all presidential records. including text messages exchanged among top White House officials. at least for now—after the judge rejected the administration’s position that the Presidential Records Act does not apply.
The directive is set to temporarily take effect on Tuesday while the legal case moves forward. The White House has said it plans to keep fighting and believes it will ultimately win in court.
The judge’s order reaches far into the day-to-day communications of the executive branch. It applies to White House Chief of Staff Susie Wiles and Deputy Chief of Staff Stephen Miller. the National Security Council. and other staff inside the Executive Office of the President. President Donald Trump and Vice President J.D. Vance are not covered by the directive.
In his opinion, U.S. District Court Judge John Bates wrote that “while the presidency is a singularly important institution. that gravity does not free it from modest constraint.” He pointed to Congress’ role in requiring recordkeeping. saying Congress determined the act helps maintain public trust by “shining some light on the activities of the president and his aides.”.
The Presidential Records Act itself was signed into law in 1978 in the wake of the Watergate scandal, establishing public ownership of presidential records, according to CBS News.
At the center of the case is a dispute sparked by government legal reasoning. The judge’s decision came after government oversight groups filed a lawsuit over a memorandum opinion issued by the Justice Department’s Office of Legal Counsel last month. In that opinion. the DOJ argued that the Presidential Records Act is unconstitutional because it exceeds Congress’ power. and therefore the Trump administration did not need to comply.
The challengers asked the court to force preservation of White House records. The American Historical Association. American Oversight. and the Freedom of the Press Foundation filed the lawsuit seeking an order requiring the White House to preserve records. Bates granted the request, finding that the Presidential Records Act is “likely constitutional.”.
Bates also rejected the administration’s attempt to treat the statute as effectively shut down by the claim of unconstitutionality. writing that adopting the government’s position would “disable Congress and future Presidents from reflecting on experience.” He linked his reasoning to the idea of learning from the past. invoking words carved into the National Archives Building in Washington: “What is past is prologue. ‘”.
For the moment. the case is paused in a very specific way: the White House must preserve the records while the dispute over the law itself plays out. The directive’s temporary nature gives the administration room to continue its fight—but it also ensures that. at least now. the communications at the heart of the dispute. including text messages among senior White House officials. are retained as the legal questions move toward resolution.
Presidential Records Act Trump administration White House records Susie Wiles Stephen Miller National Security Council John Bates Justice Department Office of Legal Counsel text messages American Oversight American Historical Association Freedom of the Press Foundation Watergate
So they’re just gonna “preserve” texts now? Cool cool.
This is wild, but also not surprising. If it’s about transparency why not just keep everything all the time? Sounds like another court game of who has to do what.
Wait, I thought the President can delete texts if it’s just personal stuff? They’re saying Trump and Vance aren’t covered, so does that mean they can wipe their phones and it doesn’t matter? Kinda confused how that works.
This is exactly why nobody should trust politicians, it’s always records, preservation, litigation, blah blah. They said it doesn’t apply, then the judge was like nope, and now it applies to random staff like Susie Wiles and Stephen Miller… meanwhile Trump not covered?? That seems convenient. I’m sure they’ll find a loophole anyway.