Politics

Judge Dismisses Smuggling Case Targeting Abrego Garcia

Judge dismisses – A federal judge in Nashville dismissed human smuggling charges against Kilmar Abrego Garcia, saying the Justice Department’s prosecution was tainted by presumptive vindictiveness after his successful lawsuit helped overturn his mistaken 2024 deportation to El

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — On the day a federal judge ordered his release after a detention fight, Kilmar Abrego Garcia still faced a different kind of jeopardy: the Justice Department’s decision to pursue criminal charges built on events he argued were never meant to be neutral.

On Friday, U.S. District Judge Waverly Crenshaw granted Abrego Garcia’s motion to dismiss a human smuggling case. concluding that prosecutors brought the charges in a way that was meant to punish him for challenging his mistaken deportation to El Salvador last year. The ruling landed like an unusually direct rebuke of a Justice Department that. under President Donald Trump. has repeatedly faced allegations of political targeting.

Crenshaw’s language was blunt. “This is what American justice looks like. ” then-Attorney General Pam Bondi had said when the Trump administration touted the charges in a press conference last year. In Friday’s decision. Crenshaw said the evidence “sadly reflects an abuse of prosecuting power. ” granting the dismissal on “selective or vindictive prosecution.” He added that without Abrego Garcia’s “successful lawsuit challenging his removal to El Salvador. ” the government would not have brought the prosecution.

Abrego Garcia’s deportation had become an embarrassment for Trump officials once courts ordered him returned to the United States. In his motion to dismiss. he argued that both the timing of the criminal case and inflammatory statements about him by top Trump officials showed the prosecution was vindictive.

After the ruling. Abrego Garcia’s criminal defense attorneys said the case reflected “a politicized. vindictive White House and its lawyers at what used to be an independent Justice Department.” In a statement. they said they were “so pleased that he is a free man.” The Justice Department said it would appeal. calling the judge’s order “wrong and dangerous.”.

Crenshaw stopped short of finding the government acted with “actual vindictiveness. ” a high standard that often requires evidence like a prosecutor acknowledging retaliation. But the judge found enough evidence of what he called “presumptive vindictiveness” to show the prosecution was thoroughly tainted.

That presumption rested on several points. according to Friday’s ruling: the timing of the indictment; statements made by then-U.S. Deputy Attorney General Todd Blanche; and the sustained oversight of the case by other top Justice Department officials. Crenshaw also wrote that the government’s own explanations weren’t convincing. He noted that prosecutors did not call the person who reopened the case—who could have explained why—opting instead for “secondhand testimony.”.

The case itself began with a traffic stop in Tennessee in 2022. Prosecutors charged Abrego Garcia with human smuggling and conspiracy to commit human smuggling. alleging that he accepted money to transport within the United States people who were in the country illegally. Body camera footage from a Tennessee Highway Patrol officer shows a calm exchange with Abrego Garcia. There were nine passengers in the car, and officers discussed among themselves their suspicions of smuggling. Abrego Garcia was ultimately allowed to continue driving with only a warning.

In Friday’s decision, Crenshaw treated the timetable as central. Homeland Security had been aware of the traffic stop for two years and had closed the case after it deported Abrego Garcia. Then the federal government reopened the matter only after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled he should be brought back to the United States.

The human side of the legal fight became unavoidable in how Abrego Garcia’s status has shifted from courtroom to government threat. Despite his victory in criminal court, his future in the United States remains uncertain. Barred from deporting him to El Salvador. administration officials have threatened to deport him to a series of African countries. most recently Liberia.

After the dismissal. Abrego Garcia spoke through the statement released by the group We are CASA. which has been supporting Abrego Garcia and his family. He thanked God for the dismissal. saying. “Justice is a big word and an even bigger promise to fulfill; and I am grateful that today. justice has taken a step forward.”.

The backdrop is a long record of immigration decisions and court rulings. Abrego Garcia’s deportation violated a 2019 immigration court order granting him protection from deportation to his home country. That protection was based on a finding that he faced danger there from a gang that targeted his family.

He is a Salvadoran citizen with an American wife and child and has lived in Maryland for years. though he immigrated to the United States illegally as a teenager. The 2019 order allowed him to live and work in the U.S. under Immigration and Customs Enforcement supervision, but he was not granted residency status.

Crenshaw’s ruling left the immediate criminal case dead on arrival. but it also forced the question of motive back into the foreground—timing. statements. and the government’s choices about what it would and wouldn’t put before the court. For Abrego Garcia, the dismissal is a release from the charges. For the Justice Department, it is a fight it says it will take further.

Kilmar Abrego Garcia human smuggling selective prosecution vindictive prosecution Justice Department appeal Waverly Crenshaw Todd Blanche Pam Bondi deportation to El Salvador ICE Liberia Nashville federal court

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Are you human? Please solve:Captcha


Secret Link