IRS Settlement Forever Bars Audits on Trump

A May 19 IRS settlement document says the U.S. will permanently drop tax claims against Donald Trump, limiting future examination and raising fresh alarm after a separate addendum and an “Anti-Weaponization Fund” tied to the same dispute.
By the time the IRS settlement document surfaced on Tuesday, May 19, the internet had already latched onto the biggest line in the paperwork: the U.S. government would be “forever barred and precluded” from examining or prosecuting President Donald Trump.
The settlement is tied to a lawsuit Trump filed against the Internal Revenue Service over a leak of his tax return. In the new document. signed by Attorney General Todd Blanche. the government also cannot investigate Trump’s sons or the Trump organization’s current tax examinations. The filing says the government is barred not just from taking action on what’s already in play. but from expanding into fresh scrutiny tied to the same dispute.
Room for details matters here. The Justice Department said the IRS settlement resolves existing audits, not future examinations. That distinction landed after the expanded settlement addendum appeared quietly on the Justice Department website on Tuesday. separate from the original settlement announced Monday.
A judge had already shaken the case. Kathleen Williams. the judge handling the lawsuit. dismissed it on Monday and admonished the government agencies—especially the Justice Department—for not being transparent about the settlement. In her filing. Williams said no agency “submitted any settlement documents nor filed any documents ensuring that settlement was appropriate where there was an outstanding question as to whether an actual case or controversy existed.”.
The original settlement agreement posted on the Justice Department’s website Monday included a promise that Trump would receive a formal apology from the U.S. government. but it also stated that he “will not receive any monetary payment or damages of any kind” as part of the deal. Even so. the discharge of current potential tax claims could still carry weight by shielding the president from possible remaining exposure tied to those matters.
And the settlement didn’t stop with Trump.
On Monday, the Trump administration announced a $1.8 billion fund tied to the same overall resolution. The Anti-Weaponization Fund totals $1.776 billion and is designed to compensate allies of the Republican president who say they were unjustly investigated and prosecuted. Attorney General Blanche described it as “a lawful process for victims of lawfare and weaponization to be heard and seek redress.”.
Lawmakers pushed Blanche on Capitol Hill on Tuesday. He did not rule out the possibility that people who carried out violence during the Jan. 6, 2021, riot at the U.S. Capitol could receive payouts from the new fund.
The fund’s unveiling followed Trump. his sons Eric Trump and Donald Trump Jr. and the Trump Organization agreeing to drop their lawsuit against the IRS and the Treasury Department. The suit alleged that a leak of confidential tax records caused reputational and financial harm and that the leak negatively affected their public standing.
That step has drawn immediate pushback. Democrats and government watchdogs criticized the fund as “corrupt” and unconstitutional, and even some Republican lawmakers have shown discomfort. Senate Majority Leader John Thune told reporters he’s “not a big fan.”
Trump defended the purpose of the fund on Monday, telling reporters at the White House it is dedicated to “reimbursing people who were horribly treated.”
Donald Trump IRS settlement tax audits Todd Blanche Justice Department Kathleen Williams Anti-Weaponization Fund Jan. 6 2021