USA Today

Documents show Elizabeth wanted Andrew as trade envoy

Newly released papers say Queen Elizabeth II was “very keen” in 2001 for former Prince Andrew to become Britain’s special trade envoy, while government officials later said there was no evidence of formal vetting. The documents land as scrutiny continues after

The language is blunt in its timing and clear in its intent: in early 2000, the head of Britain’s trade body wrote to senior cabinet ministers that the Queen was “very keen” for the Duke of York to take a prominent role promoting Britain’s national interests.

Those documents. released Thursday. now sit at the center of a controversy that has already reshaped the former prince’s life. Former Prince Andrew is now known simply as Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor after he was stripped of his royal titles. including Duke of York. last year. In 2001. he was appointed Britain’s special envoy for international trade and served in the role until 2011. when he was forced to give it up over concerns about his links to questionable figures in Libya and Azerbaijan.

The papers also show a government appointment process that, at least on paper, left little trail of scrutiny. In a written statement to lawmakers. trade minister Chris Bryant said the government found “no evidence that a formal due diligence or vetting process was undertaken” before Mountbatten-Windsor was appointed.

“There is also no evidence that this was considered. ” Bryant said. adding that it was understandable because the appointment was described as a continuation of the royal family’s involvement in trade and investment promotion work following the Duke of Kent’s decision to relinquish his duties as Vice-Chairman of the Overseas Trade Board.

The release of confidential papers came in response to legislation passed by Parliament after lawmakers accused the king’s brother of putting his friendship with Jeffrey Epstein ahead of the nation. The scandal has since widened into a broader reckoning inside the U.K. raising questions about how power is wielded across what is widely referred to as “the Establishment” — the aristocracy. senior politicians and influential business owners.

In the middle of that, the Queen’s role is now being measured not by an official statement, but by the private push evident in the correspondence.

The involvement of the late queen confirms previously held beliefs among royal commentators that she had a soft spot for her second son. beliefs that may have contributed to her lack of decisiveness in dealing with allegations about his links to Epstein. Royal commentators have for years suggested that she should have moved quicker to remove her son from royal duties. and said her failure to act tarnished the monarchy.

“If the queen makes it clear that that’s her wish, that’s the end of the argument,” said Craig Prescott, an expert on constitutional law and the monarchy at Royal Holloway, University of London. Prescott added that the civil service “would have to deal with it on that basis.”

Mountbatten-Windsor’s defenders have long maintained that the appointment was not built on wrongdoing. The documents do not contradict that he later carried out the trade envoy work he was assigned; what they do show is how quickly the political and institutional debate moved on to whether he should be constrained once installed.

There were hints. officials said. that even if ministers did not question the appointment itself. they wrestled with ways to limit what the former prince could do in public. In a January 2000 memo. Kathryn Colvin. head of protocol at the Foreign Office. wrote that Andrew’s private secretary “asked that the Duke of York should not be offered golfing functions abroad.” The memo described the activity as “a private activity” and said that if he took his clubs with him. he would not play “in any public sense.”.

Another government memo sent to U.K. trade staff around the world warned that Mountbatten-Windsor’s “high public profile” would require “careful and sometimes strict media management.”

That tension — between confidence in his role and concern about what it meant for public optics — is part of why the documents have landed with such force. It is also why the stakes of the case have remained live well beyond the appointment in 2001.

While the U.K. has felt much of the fallout most directly. the pressure began building last year as Mountbatten-Windsor was stripped of his titles after the U.S. Justice Department prepared to release millions of pages of documents tied to its Epstein investigation. Those U.S. records described how Epstein used an international network of rich. powerful friends to gain influence and sexually exploit young women and girls.

In the U.K., the former prince has vehemently denied any wrongdoing. Lawmakers approved a motion in February demanding publication of the documents after he was arrested and questioned for several hours on allegations that he shared government reports with Epstein while he served as trade envoy.

As the legal process continues, Bryant said the government was cooperating with Thames Valley Police on their investigation into Mountbatten-Windsor and possible misconduct in public office.

The documents released Thursday do not show a single dramatic decision on a single day. They show something more ordinary — a quiet desire expressed at the top. followed by an appointment that. ministers now say. left no evidence of formal vetting — and then. later. a series of practical efforts to manage his exposure. For critics, it is precisely that chain that makes the story hard to look away from.

Queen Elizabeth II Prince Andrew Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor trade envoy documents released Jeffrey Epstein Parliament legislation Chris Bryant Thames Valley Police

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Are you human? Please solve:Captcha


Secret Link