Golden Knights seek Bettman mercy after appeal hearing

The Vegas Golden Knights appealed their punishment from violating NHL post-game media rules after Brayden McNabb’s suspension, with an in-person hearing in New York and penalties still standing as assessed—while they prepare for Game 1 of the Western Conferenc
The Golden Knights walked into Game 1 of the Western Conference finals still carrying a cloud over what happened after their Ducks series—an argument about access to microphones and post-game media that now has the team asking for relief.
Vegas is set to open against the Colorado Avalanche on Wednesday night, with puck drop at 8 p.m. ET. But attention won’t stay on the matchup for long. Instead. the focus remains on the fallout from the team’s earlier incident involving John Tortorella and the circumstances that led to Brayden McNabb’s suspension.
After Vegas won Game 6 in its series with Anaheim. Tortorella did not speak to the media. and the Golden Knights’ locker room was closed. The timing suggests it was tied to McNabb’s suspension. That decision was treated as a violation of NHL post-game rules. and it was met with discipline: Vegas was docked a second-round pick in the 2026 NHL Draft. and Tortorella was fined $100. 000.
Now, the Golden Knights have appealed the ruling. The hearing was heard this morning in New York, in person. Hockey insider Frank Seravalli posted that the penalties “currently stand as originally assessed. ” and that they will wait to see whether NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman reduces the punishment after considering the appeal.
The decision didn’t sit well with some observers even at the start. Additional details later complicated the picture—and helped explain why the league’s response went as far as it did. Elliotte Friedman, speaking on the 32 Thoughts podcast, said the league had indicated it had warned Vegas about “some stuff” before. Friedman also pointed to what happens when certain requests aren’t approved. He said he heard there were “a couple of requests that were turned down. ” and that “you’re not supposed to turn down rights holder requests unless there’s a good reason.”.
Friedman then zeroed in on one specific request. He said he was told a request was made for someone on Vegas to wear a microphone, and that it was turned down—adding, “When I heard that, I knew why they got hammered.”
Friedman linked that detail to a memo Bettman previously sent to coaches, in which Bettman told them they would not be able to say no to microphones being worn. Tortorella, Friedman said, “directly went against that.”
There was also an idea of how the commissioner viewed the situation once it became part of the daily noise of the sport. Friedman described it through a blunt metaphor. saying someone compared the issue to “waiving a red cape in front of a bull named Bettman. ” and that eventually Bettman would say “Enough of this.”.
Tortorella, for his part, has since spoken to the media. His focus now is the Western Conference finals. but the appeal remains unresolved. and the consequences of the league’s sanction still stand for now—second-round draft value in 2026. plus a $100. 000 fine—pending whatever Bettman decides after hearing the case.
With Game 1 against the Avalanche arriving Wednesday night at 8 p.m. ET. the Golden Knights will play with an eye on the ice and another on the commissioner’s eventual ruling—because for Vegas. this isn’t just about one conversation after a Game 6 win. It’s about whether the sport’s rules for media access get softened after an in-person appeal. or whether the league will hold the line exactly where it landed.
Vegas Golden Knights Gary Bettman John Tortorella Brayden McNabb NHL Draft 2026 Western Conference finals Colorado Avalanche Anaheim Ducks media access policy microphone request fines and appeal
So basically they’re trying to get their draft pick back? Lol.
I saw something about microphones?? Like who cares. If the team won, why punish them so hard. This Bettman guy is always doing the most.
Wait, Tortorella didn’t talk to the media after a win and that’s what caused a suspension for McNabb? That sounds backwards to me. If they’re saying they warned Vegas about “some stuff”… what does that even mean, like did someone block a mic or something? Also 2026 pick?? That’s so far away.
This whole thing is confusing because it sounds like multiple punishments got lumped together. First it was the locker room closed, then microphones, then McNabb’s suspension, then a Tortorella fine, and now an appeal that “currently stands.” Like what are they even asking for mercy on, the suspension or the pick or the fine? Can they just let the guys play Game 1 already with the Avs??