USA 24

DC man charged with 69 counts after bus-stop shooting

DC man – A Washington, D.C., man was arrested and indicted on 69 charges after prosecutors said he sexually assaulted a minor on a city bus and then opened fire at a nearby bus stop, injuring five people.

For five days, the aftermath sat over a northwest Washington bus stop—then the legal process began in a way that left little room for doubt.

On May 22. prosecutors announced that Anthony Del Cid-Morales. 18. had been arrested and indicted on 69 charges tied to an attack that authorities said began inside a city bus and ended with gunfire at a public transit stop. The charges include assault with intent to kill while armed. possession of a firearm during a crime of violence. and aggravated assault while armed. among other counts.

The incident prosecutors say triggered those charges happened on Jan. 22 and started on a city bus. Del Cid-Morales allegedly sexually assaulted a girl on the bus at about 5:40 p.m. ET, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia. Prosecutors said that act led to a “physical altercation” between them.

As the bus neared its stop, the timing became crucial. The girl and her group of friends exited from the rear near the stop at 16th Street NW and Missouri Avenue NW in the northwest part of the city. while Del Cid-Morales exited from the front. the office said. When he got off. prosecutors alleged he pulled out a handgun. racked the slide. and fired it five times into a crowd of 15 people who were at or near the bus stop before fleeing on foot.

Five people were struck by gunfire, and all survived with minor injuries, prosecutors said. The injured included three people who were with the sexual assault victim. one person waiting to go home on the bus. and a person out for an evening walk. The Metropolitan Police Department said those hurt included one woman, two girls and two boys.

Police responded to the scene to find the victims conscious and breathing, and they were taken to local hospitals for treatment.

Del Cid-Morales faced the court on May 22, when a request for release was denied and no bond was set, according to court records. His next scheduled appearance is a detention hearing in July.

The public defender’s office was contacted for comment.

Washington DC Anthony Del Cid-Morales 69 counts bus stop shooting public transit firearm charges detention hearing U.S. Attorney's Office

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Are you human? Please solve:Captcha


Secret Link