Politics

Trump Sued Over ‘Stunningly, Blindingly Illegal’ Slush Fund

Two police officers injured on Jan. 6, 2021, sued the Justice Department, arguing the Trump administration’s $1.8 billion “Anti-Weaponization Fund” is unlawful and will bankroll far-right extremists and paramilitary groups—precisely the people they say were em

For the second time in less than five years, former U.S. Capitol Police Officer Harry Dunn says he feels the same thing tightening around his life: a threat doesn’t just follow the events of Jan. 6—it gets paid, gets encouraged, and gets renewed.

Dunn and Metropolitan Police Officer Daniel Hodges, both injured on Jan. 6. 2021. filed a lawsuit against the Justice Department on Wednesday demanding that the Trump administration’s $1.8 billion “Anti-Weaponization Fund” be dissolved immediately. In their filing. they argue the fund is illegal and that it will directly finance far-right extremists and paramilitary groups involved in the attack on the U.S. Capitol.

The officers are pointing to a specific constitutional limit they say the government is crossing: the 14th Amendment’s prohibition on the U.S. “assuming or paying any debt or obligation ‘incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States.’” They also contend the fund violates statutes under the Administrative Procedure Act. making the government actions they challenge unlawful.

“The pardons that Donald Trump gave to the insurrectionists, it forgave them. It was saying ‘thank you for doing that for me.’ Now these payments? These are rewarding them and creating an incentive now,” Dunn told HuffPost by phone on Wednesday.

Trump—who previously pardoned nearly 1,600 rioters—has repeatedly floated the idea of compensating Jan. 6 rioters since at least March of last year, and has described rioters as “very great people” or “patriots” who were “treated very unfairly.”

The lawsuit lands as the Justice Department unveiled the Anti-Weaponization Fund this week. tied to a settlement agreement President Donald Trump reached with the DOJ to drop his $10 billion lawsuit against the IRS. Under that agreement. the fund will consider payouts to anyone who can “assert at least one legal claim stating that the claimant was a victim of lawfare and/or weaponization. ” or to anyone who spent time “in prison or federal custody as a result of lawfare and weaponization from ‘any source.’”.

Dunn and Hodges say the threats they face haven’t stopped—even as the Jan. 6 years have moved forward. They argue that Trump’s pardons have reinvigorated harassment and death threats by Trump supporters, far-right extremists, and Jan. 6 conspiracy theorists aimed at them and their families.

Their complaint points to a series of post-pardon developments they say show why they believe the fund is dangerous. It highlights that at least 33 pardoned insurrectionists to date have drawn new criminal charges, ranging from illegal gun possession and assault to kidnapping and rape.

The lawsuit names Edward Kelley, who conspired to murder FBI agents who investigated him and was sentenced to life in prison, and Christopher Moynihan, who pleaded guilty to threatening to kill House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.).

It also cites Henry “Enrique” Tarrio—leader of the Proud Boys—who was convicted of seditious conspiracy and sentenced to serve 18 years in prison. In the last year. Tarrio vowed that “the people who did this. they need to feel the heat.” The lawsuit further alleges that Tarrio trailed and filmed Dunn and Hodges at a conference last February. and that he “taunted” them. The filing notes that the conference was disrupted when a bomb threat was called in by someone identifying themselves as “Enrique T. ” and that Tarrio denied making the threat.

Jacob Chansley, the so-called QAnon Shaman, is included as well. After his pardon, the lawsuit says, he celebrated online by declaring: “THANK YOU PRESIDENT TRUMP!!! NOW I AM GONNA BUY SOME MOTHA FU*KIN GUNS!!! I LOVE THIS COUNTRY!!! GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!”

Ivan Raiklin—described in the lawsuit as a conservative activist and Jan. 6 conspiracy theorist who frequently attends congressional hearings where Jan. 6 officers are present and clashes with them—is another name tied to intimidation. Dunn said Raiklin put both Dunn and Hodges on a “retribution list.” Dunn also said he has no reason to believe the fund wouldn’t heap benefits on the same people now.

The argument from the officers is not abstract. Dunn said groups including Proud Boys and Oath Keepers do recruitment and fundraising. hold events. and sell merchandise to further their mission—whether that means recruiting more violent people. hiring lawyers. or stockpiling ammo and firearms. He tied that to the pardons’ effect: he said they made these men “non-felons. ” allowing them to continue to own and buy guns.

“Let’s be real, do we think they aren’t going to stockpile their organizations now with these large potential payments coming out?” Dunn said.

Hodges’ allegations focus on what the fund would do next if the government proceeds. His attorney, Brendan Ballou, told HuffPost on Wednesday that the fund is “stunningly, blindingly illegal.”

“ If allowed to continue, it will fund insurrectionists, militias, and paramilitaries that are loyal to the president but unaccountable to the rule of law. To protect their safety and our democracy, our clients are suing to stop that from happening,” Ballou said.

For now, Dunn and Hodges are the only Jan. 6 police officers listed as suing to stop the fund, Ballou said. But he added that a class-action option hasn’t been ruled out for the future. The lawsuit also points to the scale of what officers endured on Jan. 6, saying that 140 officers were assaulted.

The Justice Department disputes the premise. A spokesperson told HuffPost: “The only thing illegal and corrupt about this situation is the brazen weaponization of federal resources by previous administrations to retaliate against those with opposing political beliefs. This Department will continue to expose this lawfare and ensure those who experienced injustices are made whole.”.

Taken together, the officers’ suit is asking the court to stop the government from using a new federal pot of money—built through a settlement tied to a separate $10 billion IRS lawsuit—to reward and validate people the plaintiffs say played a direct role in an insurrection.

Dunn’s complaint is blunt about the ripple effect he believes is already in motion: after the pardons came renewed threats, and now, he says, the fund could do what the pardons appeared to promise—turn danger into incentives.

Anti-Weaponization Fund Justice Department Trump administration Jan. 6 Harry Dunn Daniel Hodges pardons Proud Boys Oath Keepers Administrative Procedure Act 14th Amendment Hakeem Jeffries

4 Comments

  1. I’m confused, isn’t this like a DOJ thing not even Trump personally? Feels like everyone suing everyone and nothing changes. Also “anti-weaponization” sounds like they’re still funding weapons? idk

  2. The 14th amendment part is the only thing that makes sense here, but the headline is weird. Like if it’s illegal, why was it even created in the first place? And how does a slush fund even end up paying “far-right extremists” unless the government is the one doing it.

  3. “Stunningly, blindingly illegal” lmao ok sure. But aren’t they just calling it that because it’s linked to Trump? Also I read somewhere a fund like this is for training or something, not “paramilitary groups,” so I’m not sure which is true. Jan 6 still makes my stomach drop though, so I get why they’re mad.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Are you human? Please solve:Captcha


Secret Link