Politics

Trump reverses Poland troop halt, sends 5,000

Trump sends – President Donald Trump says he will send 5,000 additional U.S. troops to Poland after last week’s Pentagon decision to halt deployment of a 4,200-person Army brigade heading there. The reversal, tied by Trump to the election of Poland’s new president, Karol Na

President Donald Trump’s reversal on troops to Poland arrived in a few sentences—quietly at first. then unmistakably—after last week’s Pentagon decision that a 4. 200-person Army brigade would not deploy. even though its equipment had already arrived and the unit had spent months training for the mission.

This time, Trump says the destination has changed. On Truth Social, he announced plans to send thousands of additional U.S. troops to Poland, stating that 5,000 troops will be sent to the country—an apparent pivot from the earlier halt.

Trump pinned part of the change to a development in Warsaw. On Truth Social, he said the decision was driven in part by the election of Poland’s new president, Karol Nawrocki.

The shift also comes after weeks of whiplash over America’s posture in Europe, with Trump and his administration issuing conflicting statements about reducing American forces there, not increasing them.

At the NATO foreign ministers meeting in Sweden on Friday morning, Secretary of State Marco Rubio tried to dampen the sense of turnaround.

“Obviously. the United States continues to have global commitments that it needs to meet in terms of our force deployment. and that constantly requires us to reexamine where we put troops. ” Rubio told reporters. “And this is not a punitive thing. It’s just something that’s ongoing. And it was preexisting, all these recent reports and tensions and so forth.”.

Europe’s leaders greeted the news with encouragement, even as they pressed for Poland and the continent to do more on their own defense.

NATO Secretary-General Mark Rutte welcomed the announcement, while repeating that Europe still needs to take on more responsibility. “The trajectory we are on. which is a stronger Europe and a stronger NATO. making sure we will. over time. step by step. be less reliant on one ally only. as we have been for so long. which is the United States. ” Rutte said. “So. that also for them. they have the possibility and the option to pivot more toward other priorities. which are also in our interest. will continue. But of course, I very much welcome the announcement.”.

In Poland, Foreign Minister Radosław Sikorski thanked Trump directly. “I want to thank President Trump for his announcement that the rotation. the presence of American troops in Poland will be maintained more or less at previous levels. ” Sikorski said. adding. “I think Poland’s reputation as a country that takes defense seriously also helps.”.

Germany also responded positively, even though Trump has recently announced plans to pull 5,000 troops from Germany after Chancellor Friedrich Merz criticized the U.S. over the war in Iran.

“I very much welcome the decision to deploy additionally 5,000 troops in Poland,” German Foreign Minister Johann Wadephul said. “This is a good decision because it serves not only for Poland’s security but for the security of the whole alliance and so also for us. So, this is absolutely in our interest. We support that very much and we are a very close ally to Poland as well as to the United States.”.

image

The troop debate, however, is not confined to Europe. Back in Washington, the fight over how far and where the U.S. should commit militarily is continuing inside Congress—especially around Iran.

On Thursday, House Republicans delayed a vote on legislation that would require the president to pull U.S. forces out of the Iran conflict after struggling to gather enough GOP support to keep the measure from passing. That vote is now pushed off until at least June.

House Majority Leader Steve Scalise said the delay was meant to give lawmakers who were absent a chance to take part.

“We had the votes without question and they knew it, and as a result they’re playing a political game,” the bill’s sponsor, Rep. Gregory Meeks, D-NY, told reporters afterward.

In the Senate, Republicans are also working to secure enough votes to dismiss a separate war powers resolution that advanced to a final vote earlier this week with the support of four GOP senators.

Taken together, the Poland announcement and the push-and-pull over U.S. forces elsewhere reflect a larger problem Americans are watching closely: decisions that appear to shift from one week to the next. with allies taking the new posture as welcome news while lawmakers argue over what those commitments should be—and who gets to decide.

Donald Trump Poland U.S. troops Pentagon Army brigade Karol Nawrocki Marco Rubio NATO Mark Rutte Radosław Sikorski Johann Wadephul Germany Friedrich Merz House Republicans Steve Scalise Gregory Meeks Iran conflict war powers resolution United States Congress

4 Comments

  1. It’s wild how the Pentagon halted it and then suddenly it’s back on. Also the “new president” thing sounds like politics more than defense, idk.

  2. Wait I read somewhere that the troops already arrived so they just sent em again? Like if the equipment got there but the brigade didn’t, what happens to the guys that were training for months, just… sit at the base forever? Seems like a mess.

  3. Rubio saying it’s not punitive like that changes anything 🙄. Next week it’ll be “we’re reducing troops again” and then back to sending 5,000. Sounds like Europe can’t decide what it wants and America’s just getting jerked around. Also the headline says 5,000 additional but the brigade was 4,200, so is it doubling or replacing? I’m confused.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Are you human? Please solve:Captcha


Secret Link