Technology

Trump delays AI order, says he disliked draft

Trump postpones – President Trump said he postponed the signing of an artificial intelligence executive order expected Thursday afternoon, arguing he didn’t like parts of the draft and fears it could “get in the way” of the U.S. staying ahead of China.

Washington — The plan was straightforward: President Trump was expected to sign an executive order on artificial intelligence Thursday afternoon, laying out how the federal government will approach AI.

Instead, he stepped into the Oval Office earlier in the day and told reporters he would delay it. When asked about the postponement after the news was posted on X. Trump said. “Because I didn’t like certain aspects of it. I postponed it.” He added that he doesn’t want anything to slow the United States’ push to lead in AI development.

“I think it gets in the way of, you know, we’re leading China, we’re leading everybody, and I don’t want to do anything that’s going to get in the way of that lead,” Trump said.

The president did not describe the draft in detail, but he framed the pause as protective of momentum. He said AI is already delivering “tremendous good” and that it is creating many jobs in the U.S. Trump argued that the proposed order could have become a “blocker,” and he said he didn’t want that.

“I really thought that could have been a blocker, and I want to make sure that it’s not,” he said.

He also clarified that the delay applied to what had been scheduled as a press conference turning into a signing. “I postponed that meeting, it was a press conference, it was a signing, actually,” he said. “Because I didn’t like what I was seeing.”

It was not clear what specific provisions in the draft Trump objected to. Earlier Thursday. a source familiar with the executive order draft told CBS News that the current version included language aimed at securing Pentagon systems and securing federal civilian systems. The draft was also described as calling for promoting the use of AI tools.

That same draft was reported to include a voluntary framework with AI developers. Under that approach, developers would engage the federal government over the release of covered models, including pre-public access to select technology.

Trump AI executive order artificial intelligence policy Pentagon systems federal civilian systems AI developers voluntary framework model release pre-public access China AI competition

4 Comments

  1. I saw this on X and was like wait, isn’t this the one for China stuff? Sounds like he’s trying to make sure we don’t get “blocked” by the government, which honestly I get. But knowing politicians it’ll just be another thing delayed forever.

  2. I don’t even understand why signing an order would slow anything. Like if it’s about Pentagon systems and civilian systems, wouldn’t that be the fastest path to whatever AI? He said “tremendous good” and jobs but then it’s a blocker… for who? Maybe the order is just too strict on companies, idk.

  3. This is hilarious because “voluntary framework” sounds like nobody has to do anything, so of course he “didn’t like the draft.” Then he says it could get in the way of leading China like the US is gonna fall behind because of paperwork. Also he postponed the press conference to sign? So basically the press was the real thing getting blocked, not AI lol.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Are you human? Please solve:Captcha


Secret Link