Steven Mattaboni dies after Rottnest shark attack
Steven Mattaboni, 38, was killed in a great white shark attack while spearfishing near Horseshoe Reef off Rottnest Island. His wife Shirene described him as a devoted father and ‘one-of-a-kind gentleman’ after paramedics were called at about 10am and tried for
A Perth father-of-two has been identified as the man killed in a shark attack off Rottnest Island.
Steven Mattaboni, 38, died on Saturday morning after he was attacked while spearfishing near Horseshoe Reef, about one kilometre off the coast of the island near Perth. His wife, Shirene, 33, later described him as a devoted family man and praised his love for both the ocean and their children.
Mattaboni had been in the water with friends when he was bitten on both legs by what authorities believe was a great white shark.. His mates witnessed the attack. pulled him onto their boat. and raced him to the jetty at Geordie Bay. where paramedics worked for more than 30 minutes to try to save him.
Despite those efforts, the father could not be revived. In an emotional statement, Shirene said Mattaboni was “fiercely loyal, endlessly generous and the kind of man who would give you the shirt off his back”.
“The world has lost a truly one-of-a-kind gentleman, and our daughters have lost an incredible father far too soon,” she said. She also thanked emergency services and first responders who rushed to help.
WA Police Sergeant Michael Wear said the incident was traumatic for everyone involved. adding that friends had actually witnessed the “horrific event”.. He said the victim was on the surface at the time, about 20 metres away from the vessel.. Authorities also confirmed Mattaboni suffered critical injuries to both lower legs during the attack.
St John WA ambulance paramedics and police were called at about 10am on Saturday. Despite CPR from friends and emergency crews, the result was fatal.
On Sunday, fisheries officers continued patrols around Rottnest Island after a five-metre white shark was spotted about 80 metres offshore earlier in the day. Rottnest Island beaches remained open following the attack, which claimed the life of Mattaboni.
Shark expert Dr Daryl McPhee said the attack happened a considerable distance offshore and did not suggest an increased danger for beachgoers in shallow water.. “I don’t think there’s an elevated risk for anyone in the shallows.” He added: “I’d be more concerned if the bite occurred right on the beach. but it’s a long way off shore.”
The Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development is assisting local authorities following the fatal attack.
One thread runs through the reporting so far: friends watched the attack unfold near Horseshoe Reef. CPR was attempted after Mattaboni was brought to Geordie Bay. and even with a five-metre white shark later spotted about 80 metres offshore. Rottnest beaches stayed open as experts pointed to the bite occurring far from shallow water.
Australia recorded the highest number of fatal shark attacks in the world last year, according to figures released by the International Shark Attack File in February.
Mattaboni is survived by his two young daughters, including a baby just four months old, as well as his wife Shirene.
Rottnest Island shark attack Steven Mattaboni Shirene Mattaboni great white shark Horseshoe Reef Geordie Bay St John WA WA Police Dr Daryl McPhee