Cuba denounces U.S. drone claims as fraudulent case

Cuba calls – Cuba’s foreign minister called U.S. claims about Cuban combat drones “fraudulent,” rejecting allegations that Havana discussed potential attacks on U.S. targets and broader assertions involving Iranian advisers. The dispute comes as the Trump administration st
Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez accused Washington of building a “fraudulent case” after an intelligence-based allegation surfaced that Havana had acquired more than 300 combat drones and discussed possible attack scenarios involving U.S. targets.
Rodriguez said Sunday on social media that Cuba “neither threatens nor desires war. ” adding that the country is preparing to defend itself against foreign aggression under rights he said are protected by the U.N.. Charter.. In the same post, he described U.S.. actions as a day-by-day fabrication meant to justify a “war economic” he called “despiadada” against the Cuban people.
The intelligence-backed report described Cuban officials discussing potential drone use against U.S.. naval ships, the military base at Guantánamo Bay and potentially Key West, Florida.. It also said the United States is focused on more than drone capabilities. including claims that Iranian military advisers are operating in Havana.
That broader allegation said intelligence assessments indicated Cuba had obtained attack drones of varying capabilities from Moscow and Tehran and distributed them to locations across the country.. It further claimed intercepted intelligence suggested Cuban officials studied how Iran responded to U.S.. military operations.
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth raised the issue during a Capitol Hill hearing last week, telling Florida Congressman Mario Diaz-Balart that an adversarial presence operating near U.S. borders remains a concern.
Cuban officials rejected the allegations and accused Washington of using them to justify sanctions and possible military action. Cuba’s embassy in Washington posted on X that the country maintains the “right to defend itself against external aggression.”
.@CarlosFdeCossioLike any country, Cuba has the right to defend itself against external aggression.. It is called self-defense. and it is protected by International Law and the UN Charter.Those from the US who seek the submission and. in fact. the destruction of the Cuban…— Cuban Embassy in US (@EmbaCubaUS) May 17. 2026
The embassy statement did not directly address the report’s specific claims about combat drones.
The dispute is unfolding as the Trump administration continues increasing legal, diplomatic and economic pressure on Cuba.. Last week. federal authorities were described as preparing charges against former president Raúl Castro over his alleged role in the 1996 downing of Brothers to the Rescue aircraft.. The Justice Department plans to unseal an indictment later this week alleging Castro ordered the shootdown. according to the same intelligence-linked reporting that surfaced the drone allegations.
The sequence of events is tight: a drone-and-advisers allegation is paired with warnings from U.S.. officials about threats near U.S.. borders. then Cuba responds with denials of any desire to fight and insists on its right to defend itself. even as legal pressure against Raúl Castro is set to move forward on an older case.
Cuba Bruno Rodriguez U.S.-Cuba relations combat drones Guantánamo Bay Key West Iranian advisers sanctions U.N. Charter Mario Diaz-Balart Pete Hegseth Raúl Castro
So Cuba is just denying it huh. Sounds like the usual.
I don’t get how they can call it fraudulent when it’s “intelligence-based”?? Like either it’s intel or it’s made up. Also Key West of all places… come on.
They say neither threatens nor desires war but then it says possible attacks on U.S. targets like Guantanamo and even Key West. That’s kind of the definition of threatening? Unless they mean “threatening” like in a video game lol.
This is probably just sanctions stuff. Like the US always needs a reason, then they say Iran advisors are in Havana and everybody panics. But if Cuba really has 300+ drones why are we only hearing about it now? Sounds like both sides are playing games honestly, fraud, fabrication, war economic… they’re all just words.