Ntshavheni brands Sooklal’s Zuma-Gupta appearance “disgrace”
Minister in the Presidency Khumbudzo Ntshavheni held a press briefing on Friday, where she expressed the government’s position on several issues.One of them was South African High Commissioner to India Anil Sooklal’s eyebrow-raising appearance next to former president Jacob Zuma during his visit to Ajay Gupta.She described the act as a disgrace and said he was showing South Africa the “middle finger”. South African High Commissioner to India Anil Sooklal’s visit to the fugitive Gupta family in India, along with former president Jacob Zuma, is
a “disgrace” and a “middle finger” to South Africans, Minister in the Presidency Khumbudzo Ntshavheni has said. Sooklal angered South Africa when he appeared alongside Zuma and his close confidante, Mzwanele Manyi, at a press briefing following their visit to corruption-accused fugitive Ajay Gupta. After Zuma’s departure from the Union Buildings in 2018, the Guptas became fugitives for avoiding prosecution for their allegedly central role in state capture during Zuma’s tenure as the president. Ajay and his brothers are accused of looting billions of rands
from the state through kickbacks and undue influence over government contracts. READ | Zuma visits Ajay Gupta in India, accompanied by top SA diplomat While a 2018 arrest warrant for Ajay was reportedly cancelled in 2019, authorities have since declared him a fugitive and he remains wanted. The United Arab Emirates rejected a request for the extradition of the Gupta brothers in February 2023 so that they could stand trial for fraud and money laundering in connection with what has become known as the Nulane
scam. Although authorities never sought to extradite Ajay, he is considered the architect of the family’s stranglehold on the state during Zuma’s presidency. At question time during Ntshavheni’s post-Cabinet briefing on Friday, she was asked about Sooklal’s conduct. She responded: “Therefore, it’s [another] level of disgrace that our own employee, the representative of the government of South Africa, hobnobs with the criminals instead of doing his work and making sure that the fugitives are brought to book.” Ntshavheni said Sooklal was showing a “middle finger
to South Africans, who are paying his salary”, instead of performing his duties. She said International Relations Minister Ronald Lamola requested a report from the officials and warned that “drastic steps” would be taken. READ | Lamola demands answers after diplomat is pictured with Zuma and Gupta in India Ntshavheni said: “We also are very clear: The messaging is very wrong, both from Ambassador Sooklal and [Zuma]. This is not the first incident where this [former] state president has undermined the foreign policy of this
country and also the laws of the country when he’s supported by the country.” In August last year, Pretoria voiced its strong objection to and deep concern about Zuma’s bilateral meeting with Morocco’s foreign affairs minister, Nasser Bourita. The Presidency, Ntshavheni said, did not have the diaries of former presidents, even though the state funded their trips. She said the government was reviewing the policy on the funding of ex-presidents’ trips.
Khumbudzo Ntshavheni, Anil Sooklal, Jacob Zuma, Ajay Gupta, Mzwanele Manyi, Nulane scam, state capture, Union Buildings, Ronald Lamola, South African High Commissioner to India, Morocco Nasser Bourita