Canada News

300 Langley long-care beds face no start date

There is a business plan to add a 300-bed long-term care facility to the Langley Memorial Hospital site, but it shows they would cost even more than other projects recently placed on hold by the provincial government. That’s according to Bowinn Ma, B.C. Minister of Infrastructure, in a May 7 letter responding to a Langley City Council written request for a status update on the promised facility made during the provincial election. Ma was responding to a April 17 City letter sent by Mayor Nathan

Pachal on behalf of council to Health Minister Josie Osborne. It asked for an update, whether a business plan had been prepared, and for a “confirmed project timeline with milestones, including a projected construction start date and opening date.” Instead of Osborne, Ma replied, saying it fell under the purview of his ministry. ”The Fraser Health Authority completed a business plan,” Ma wrote. “On a cost per bed basis, the estimated cost for the Langley long term care was as high or higher than the

seven projects that were re-paced in Budget 2026.” He was referring to a provincial announcement that nine health care projects were being slowed or re-paced in light of a record-setting deficit of $13.3 billion. In his letter, Ma did not provide a start date for construction of the project, which was estimated to cost between $240 and $450 million, with completion in 2030, back when it was announced during the election. Mayor Nathan Pachal told the Langley Advance Times it was “obviously disappointing to see

that.” “One thing that we hear pretty clearly in our community [is concern about] health in general, but certainly long-term care as well. I hope the provincial government really looks hard and fast and sees the growing need in communities like Langley City, and maybe it can reconsider.” Langley City’s letter said Langley Memorial Hospital is currently operating with only 200 long-term care beds, “and an accelerating pace of shortfall of beds, which is wholly insufficient to meet the current and projected demand.” During the

election, the NDP also promised to improve surgical capacity at LMH and to build a new patient tower. READ ALSO: An 18-hour wait at Langley Memorial Hospital ER

Langley long-term care facility, Langley Memorial Hospital, Bowinn Ma letter May 7, Nathan Pachal April 17 letter, Josie Osborne, Fraser Health business plan, Budget 2026 re-paced projects, deficit 13.3 billion, 300-bed facility cost per bed

4 Comments

  1. I don’t even get why this is “no start date” when they promised it in the election. Sounds like they just needed the votes and now it’s stalled.

  2. Isn’t this just because of the deficit? Like I swear every province thing is always “too expensive” or “re-paced” and then nothing changes. Also $240 to $450 million is like… what even? beds cost money but it feels overpriced.

  3. Wait so it’s Fraser Health doing the business plan but the infrastructure minister is responding? I’m confused who’s actually responsible. And if other projects were re-paced in Budget 2026, that means this one definitely got cancelled, right? My grandma needs a bed like yesterday.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Are you human? Please solve:Captcha


Secret Link