Australia News

Cops escort mum away after bullying ban at carnival

The mother broke down as she told news.com.au she was furious that Our Lady of Fatima Catholic Primary school had taken action against her for speaking up for her daughter while they “protected the bullies and their parents”. Three NSW Police officers attended the carnival at Sylvania on Tuesday and informed Michelle that she was the subject of a “banning order” and therefore not allowed to be at the carnival. “This is outrageous, I can’t even watch my child. They are protecting the bullies. I

am absolutely devastated,” she said. News.com.au has chosen not to include Michelle’s surname to protect the identity of the little girl who has become withdrawn and expressed suicidal thoughts since the bullying started at the beginning of the year. Michelle has gone public because she won’t let her daughter become another statistic like “beautiful Charlotte O’Brien”, the Year Seven student who suicided after a horrific campaign of bullying at her school. “My seven-year-old daughter has been the victim of bullying for nearly 18 months and

like so many other schools, the school has done nothing but protect the children responsible,” Michelle said. “I’ve reported it to Sydney Catholic Schools multiple times, including all supporting documentation, and they leave the decisions up to the school. “My daughter has said a few times now that she doesn’t want to be alive anymore and has suffered panic attacks as a direct result of the bullying, yet the school still did nothing. Michelle said her daughter, who is now in Year Two, had become

introverted. “Shes’ never been a kid who talks about their feelings anyway, but she’s now so withdrawn. She had a panic attack, she’s never had anything like that before. “She breakdowns at bedtime and before school. Then she started to say ‘I don’t want to be alive anymore.” The devastated mum fought back tears as she said she is seeking counselling for her child – refusing the school counselling because of their attitude and her fears anything she says will be used against her. “My

greatest fear is the long lasting impact it will have on my little girl. You weigh up whether to stay silent as so many parents do, or speak up and risk it having an effect on your child down the track, whether that be through high school applications, marks against their name and kind of unfair backlash you can’t predict. “It keeps me awake at night, wondering how she will get through this, what this will do to her. It makes me fill sick to

the stomach, a constant pit in my stomach.” The mum’s clash with the school intensified on the last day of last term. “After 10 weeks of constant torment, I thought it was more than fair to defend my daughter,” she said. Michelle spoke to a girl in the playground after learning her daughter had been called a “f…ing piece of s…t the day before. Michelle said to the girl: “What did you call my daughter yesterday?” to which the girl said “I didn’t say that”.

Michelle then responded something along the lines of “well you must know what I am referring to to answer like that”. She insisted she did not use any aggressive or offensive language or behaviour. “As a result the school has banned me from the playground and all school events despite my kids being model students at the school. So now I have to leave my bullied daughter at the school gate every day and just pray this kid leaves her alone.” In a letter confirming

the ban, the school wrote: “Following the completion of my inquiries, including a review of your written account and statements from student and parent witnesses, I have determined that the incident did occur. The investigation identified significant concerns regarding the language used, the manner in which (Michelle) approached the children, and the impact your behaviour had on multiple students.” “I note your acknowledgement that you did speak with two children on the school site relating to your concerns about student bullying. I note that you

did not have the consent of her parents or any school staff member to speak with those children. I thank you for this acknowledgement, and I note that this is, regardless of the reason or nature of the conversation, a breach of the Parent Charter.” Michelle told news.com.au she did not use inappropriate language and is furious she is being punished and now cannot protect her child. On Tuesday she attended the athletics carnival in Sylvania and 30 minutes after her arrival was told she

was not permitted to be there. An hour later police were called, and while polite and reasonable and “sympathetic” to her plight, they escorted her from the grounds. No charges were laid in relation to the incident. “It was so humiliating and now I’m so worried I have made it worse for my daughter. But I am at the end of my tether. This is not fair to my daughter. The bullies are protected and she is again humiliated. This is too much.” “She’s being

excluded, whispered about. When she walked into the playground they snigger, whisper and run away from her. “Even in front of me in the morning before school I watched this girl specifically look her up and down, and then whisper to her friends, knowing an adult is watching. “When do the adults intervene and protect the children instead of protecting their reputation?” News.com.au approached the school for comment about Michelle’s plight and urgent desire for her daughter to be protected on May 6. A spokeswoman

for Sydney Catholic Schools said the school in question takes all concerns relating to student safety and wellbeing extremely seriously. “We have clear policies and procedures in place to prevent and respond to bullying, and all staff and schools are required to act in accordance with these frameworks,” the spokeswoman said. “Sydney Catholic Schools also maintains a Parent Charter which sets clear expectations for parent behaviour within school environments. Where these expectations are not met, action may be taken to ensure the safety and wellbeing

of students, staff and the broader school community. “These decisions are not taken lightly and are made with the safety of the entire school community in mind. As this matter involves a student, we are unable to comment on specific details to protect the privacy of those involved. However, we can confirm that the school has followed all appropriate processes, is actively managing the situation, and has safety and wellbeing supports in place. “Sydney Catholic Schools is currently reviewing the matter and remains committed to

working constructively to ensure all concerns are appropriately assessed and addressed.”

bullying, banning order, athletics carnival, Sylvania, NSW Police, Our Lady of Fatima Catholic Primary School, Sydney Catholic Schools, Parent Charter, student safety

4 Comments

  1. This feels messed up. Like, if she’s the one complaining about bullying then banning her from the carnival doesn’t really fix anything. Sounds like the school just picked a side.

  2. I’m kinda confused though—like is the “banning order” for her because she was “speaking up” or because she was being loud at the carnival? Either way a kid having suicidal thoughts is not something you can just sweep under the rug.

  3. Cops escorted a mum away over a bullying ban at some carnival? I mean… where does this stuff even end. If the school was protecting bullies, then banning the parent only makes it worse. Also I remember that Charlotte O’Brien thing (tragic), so yeah, I don’t buy the ‘just following process’ excuse. Somebody should’ve been protecting the daughter, not shutting the mom up.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Are you human? Please solve:Captcha


Secret Link