Politics

Hayes jokes Trump may build a bunker to stay

Trump ballroom – MSNBC host Chris Hayes turned a recurring conspiracy about President Donald Trump’s $400 million White House ballroom project into a joke Tuesday, saying he was “starting to become convinced” Trump’s fixation could be about barricading himself when his term en

On Tuesday, MS NOW host Chris Hayes didn’t just brush off the mounting theories around President Donald Trump’s White House ballroom project—he turned them into a joke that landed as quietly unsettling.

“I’m starting to become convinced that Trump’s monomaniacal obsession with the ballroom/bunker is because he plans on barricading himself inside the bunker when his term is up,” Hayes wrote on X, the platform formerly known as Twitter.

He followed up fast, adding, “I mean, I guess I’m … mostly joking? Kinda?” Language has since been amended to make clear that Hayes was joking in his tweet.

Hayes’ comment arrives at a moment when the ballroom project has become more than a construction controversy. The White House announced construction last year, saying it would cost $200 million and be privately funded. That price has since doubled.

For months, Trump insisted the effort would cost taxpayers nothing and even razed the East Wing to make way for the structure. Critics have argued the ballroom is less about policy and more about image, dismissed by many as nothing more than a “vanity project.”

The legal fight sharpened in March, when a federal judge ruled that construction requires congressional approval. Republicans have since tried to nationalize the effort, but that ruling has kept it stalled.

Then came the claim that deepened suspicions: Trump later divulged that the U.S. military is building a “massive complex” beneath the ballroom. In doing so, he revealed it was “supposed to be a secret” and said it only came out “because of a stupid lawsuit.”

Senate Republicans have since sought $1 billion from taxpayers.

The dispute also plays out against a wider political backdrop that Trump has repeatedly used to signal he may not be planning a normal exit. He has frequently discussed running for a third and unconstitutional term. shown off a trove of “TRUMP 2028” hats. and told NBC News in March 2025. “I’m not joking.” Trump previously acknowledged that the Constitution prohibits him from running again.

During an impromptu press conference in the immediate hours after last month’s shooting at the White House Correspondents’ Association Dinner, Trump urged Congress to grant the federal government formal approval to resume construction.

The idea that the ballroom could be designed to keep Trump in power has been floated in other corners of the media world. too. Last week. radio host Charlamagne Tha God suggested the project is a sign Trump doesn’t plan to leave office after his second term is up. asking. “Do you seriously think he’s building that for the next guy?”.

Liberal podcaster Anthony Davis made a similar point on “The Weekend Show” earlier this month. “There is a fear that he ain’t leaving. And that is something to be taken very seriously,” Davis said, adding: “He’s building an additional 100,000 square feet to … hunker down, this time with a military installation below this giant ballroom that will clearly never be used for balls.”.

For now, Hayes’ joke doesn’t settle the question of what the project is for or what it means politically. But it does reflect what has become unmistakable around the ballroom: a construction bill now treated by many as a political timeline—one that could stretch far beyond Trump’s second term.

Chris Hayes MS NOW Trump ballroom White House construction congressional approval federal judge March $200 million $400 million East Wing razed $1 billion request TRUMP 2028 hats bunker conspiracy White House Correspondents’ Association Dinner shooting U.S. military massive complex beneath ballroom

4 Comments

  1. So is it a ballroom or a bunker now lol. Feels like MSNBC just keeps poking at the same thing instead of saying what’s actually happening.

  2. I mean Chris Hayes “mostly joking” but the whole thing sounds shady. They doubled the price and he already admitted a military complex under it… like why would they need all that if it’s not for something after he’s gone?

  3. Congress approval is the key part, right? But of course Republicans try to “nationalize” it (whatever that means). Also I saw somewhere it’s not even real, it’s just a rumor from that other guy… then Trump says military is building stuff, so now my brain is fried. If it costs $400 million, that’s still taxpayer money even if they say privately funded, c’mon.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Are you human? Please solve:Captcha


Secret Link