FIFA chief operating officer sacked weeks after accusing president Gianni Infantino of having ‘deceived’ staff over controversial World Cup sell-off plans

Kevin Lamour, the FIFA chief operating officer who broke ranks and criticised president Gianni Infantino over his World Cup sell-off plan, has been sacked.
The French-Swiss executive had released an explosive statement declaring that staff had been ‘deceived’ by under-fire Infantino following his now-abandoned proposal, which would have seen stakes in the tournament sold to private investors.
He would now appear to have paid the price.
A FIFA spokesperson said: ‘FIFA can confirm that the working relationship between FIFA and Kevin Lamour as FIFA’s Chief Operating Officer has ended on 17 August 2026.
‘FIFA thanks Kevin for his two years of service and wishes him the best of luck for the future.
‘No further comment will be made on the matter.’
FIFA confirmed chief operating officer Kevin Lamour, centre, has left, weeks after accusing president Gianni Infantino of having ‘deceived’ staff over plans to sell stakes in the World Cup
Lamour had declared the plans were a ‘project of one person’ as he criticisted Infantino, pictured, while acknowledging he was willing to lose his job by speaking out
Staff were made aware of Lamour’s abrupt departure in an email sent by general secretary Mattias Grafstrom on Tuesday night. It has been claimed to Daily Mail Sport that Grafstrom – rather than Infantino – delivered the bullet to Lamour. FIFA have been contacted for comment on the claim.
In the wake of the sell-off plan being made public, Lamour told the Associated Press ‘It is the project of one person. Not only must this project not go ahead … but the time has now come for football political leaders to ask themselves the right questions and make the right decisions.’
Lamour also said that he was prepared to lose his job over speaking out publicly.
‘If that means I lose my job, then so be it,’ his statement to AP added. ‘I will understand and respect that decision. At least I’ll sleep well tonight.’
Lamour follows Infantino’s senior advisor Carlos Cordeiro out of the door. He resigned in July citing his opposition to the controversial plans.