Feeding Our Future ringleader gets 41½-year sentence

A federal judge sentenced Aimee Bock, founder of Minnesota nonprofit Feeding Our Future, to 500 months in prison for her role in a $250 million pandemic fraud scheme tied to a federally funded child nutrition program. The case centered on falsely reported meal
When Aimee Bock stepped into federal court in Minneapolis for her sentencing on Thursday, the numbers already carried their own weight: $250 million in pandemic-era fraud, 91 million meals falsely reported, and a prison term that would stretch past four decades.
The convicted ringleader of Feeding Our Future was sentenced by District Judge Nancy Brasel to 500 months in prison—41.5 years—more than a year after Bock’s March 2025 conviction on multiple counts of wire fraud, conspiracy and bribery. Brasel also ordered Bock to pay $242 million in restitution.
“This is a vortex of fraud, and you were at the epicenter,” Brasel reportedly told Bock before imposing the sentence.
Bock, 45, has called herself the wrong person to blame. She was accused of acting as the “mastermind” of a sprawling scheme that exploited a federally funded child nutrition program. At sentencing, she told the judge, “I understand I failed,” and added, “I failed the public, my family, everyone.”
Prosecutors described a scheme designed to move money. In court filings, they argued Bock ran the nonprofit like a “cash pipeline” available to anyone willing to submit “fraudulent claims and pay kickbacks.” They said the fraud’s consequences would outlast the courtroom.
“The ripple effects of her actions are profound, immeasurable, and will have lasting consequences for both Minnesota and the nation,” federal prosecutors wrote in a Monday filing.
Bock’s defense has taken a different path. She maintained her innocence, insisting state regulators and two former employees were responsible. She also has accused Minnesota Democratic Rep. Ilhan Omar of being privy to the meals scam, a claim Omar has vehemently denied.
The judge’s sentence landed in a case that prosecutors said began to unfold after they first uncovered the Feeding Our Future fraud scheme in 2022. Federal authorities initially charged 47 defendants, alleging the nonprofit exploited $250 million from a federally funded child nutrition program. Over time, the number of defendants—predominantly of Somali descent—grew to 78, prosecutors announced in November.
By the time the sentencing phase moved forward, 65 of the defendants had pleaded guilty or been convicted at trial. The harshest sentence among them totaled 28 years, according to reporting by Sahan Journal.
Authorities said the conviction sent a clear message. In a statement, FBI Minneapolis Special Agent in Charge Alvin M. Winston said. “Stealing from the federal government is stealing from the American people — plain and simple.” He added that the “egregious fraud” in the case represented a “blatant betrayal of public trust. ” alleging the defendants stole hundreds of millions meant to feed hungry children during a crisis and instead funneled money into luxury homes. cars and “lavish lifestyles” while families struggled.
Bock’s attorney, Kenneth Udoibok, had argued for a dramatically shorter sentence. In court filings. he sought no more than 37 months. saying she had provided information to investigators while being portrayed as the mastermind. Bock has been in custody since her conviction last year following a six-week trial.
As the hearing approached, Bock told Newsweek on Wednesday that she wasn’t sure what to expect. From the Sherburne County Jail. she wrote. “I am not setting any expectations as far as a number goes. ” and said she had spent the day reflecting. with friends and family. and praying “for strength and peace for all of us.” She added. “I am putting this in God’s hands.”.
Even as she acknowledged in earlier comments that prosecutors had uncovered wrongdoing, she insisted it wasn’t intentional. She testified at trial that she never demanded kickbacks. Last week, during an interview from jail with Sahan Journal, she said she recognized that the fraud happened.
“Obviously, we missed it,” she told the outlet. “I mean, that’s just clear.”
Still, Bock maintained there was “no intentional bad acting” on her behalf. “I really, really genuinely thought we were doing good work,” she said.
The case has also become entangled in broader political fights. In a statement released in December. President Donald Trump denounced Minnesota as a “hub of fraudulent money laundering activity” where “refugees from Somalia are completely taking over.” He also blamed Democratic Governor Tim Walz for allowing the scandal to unfold. while vowing an immigration crackdown in the state. which has the largest Somali population in the U.S.
For Bock. the sentence marks the end of a long legal battle over what she believed was a misinterpretation of her work and what prosecutors and the court treated as a coordinated fraud. On Thursday. the court chose the latter—imposing a term measured not just in years. but in decades—while ordering $242 million in restitution.
Aimee Bock Feeding Our Future Minnesota pandemic fraud wire fraud conspiracy bribery Ilhan Omar Tim Walz Ilhan Omar denial restitution FBI Minneapolis Nancy Brasel Alvin M. Winston child nutrition program