United Kingdom News

Carillon Court demolition approved despite town-centre backlash

A planning committee has approved partial demolition of Carillon Court in Loughborough, part of an iconic ’90s shopping centre. Residents and councillors have warned the move could leave a damaging demolition site for years, while the developer says the work w

Plans to bulldoze part of Carillon Court, an iconic ’90s shopping centre in Loughborough, have been approved, triggering fresh anger from residents who fear the town centre will be blighted for too long.

A local planning committee gave the go-ahead on Thursday, May 14, for a partial demolition of the town-centre site. The application was submitted to Charnwood Borough Council (CBC) by Leicester Commercial Ltd in 2025, seeking permission to knock down part of the Carillon Court shopping centre.

The documents lodged by Leicester Commercial Ltd said the proposed demolition would provide a “clean, tidy, cleared site ready for future redevelopment”. But councillors have pointed out that several earlier attempts to demolish parts of the site had been refused.

image

Rhys Cory-Lowsley, councillor for Loughborough Southfields, said: “Without any plans as to what might happen next, we have no assurance that anything will be done, or how long we might have a demolition site for a town centre.”

The applicant argued that demolition needed to be completed before final plans were drawn up. in case any archaeological obstacles were uncovered.. Leicester Commercial Ltd also said granting permission would “unlock” the next phase of the scheme. with more information on future plans available once the groundwork had been completed.

image

Even with the knock-down, certain aspects of the structure are set to remain. The developer said the arch would be retained, using existing columns.

In a report included with the application. the company described its “ultimate intention” as redevelopment of Carillon Court as a mixed-use scheme.. It added that the proposal would see demolition of a limited number of existing vacant units to “provide a clean. tidy. cleared site ready for future redevelopment”.. The report also stated the demolition of empty units “would not prevent the continued operation” of the rest of the shopping centre.

image

That reassurance has not gone far with local residents. Many said prolonged demolition work would “completely destroy the town centre”. Others described the removal of retail units as “disgraceful” and called the plan a “crazy idea”.

The pattern is stark in the details already before the council: earlier applications to demolish parts of Carillon Court were refused. and this time permission has been granted while residents argue they have not yet been given firm plans for what follows—especially around how long a demolition site could last.

MISRYOUM has not yet received a response from Leicester Commercial Ltd or Charnwood Borough Council. The Sun has reached out to both for comment.

Loughborough Carillon Court demolition Charnwood Borough Council Leicester Commercial Ltd town centre redevelopment planning permission ’90s shopping centre

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Are you human? Please solve:Captcha


Secret Link