Busch’s No 8 retired as Brexton pays tribute

Brexton Busch – Kyle Busch’s 11-year-old son Brexton changed his social media profile pictures to a photo embracing his late father after NASCAR confirmed the two-time Cup Series champion died at 41. Richard Childress Racing also announced it is retiring Busch’s iconic No 8 a
On the same day NASCAR confirmed Kyle Busch had died at 41, his son Brexton posted a quiet, personal reminder that the world lost someone close to him far more quickly than anyone could prepare for.
Brexton. who had celebrated his 11th birthday just three days before his father’s passing. updated his profile pictures on Instagram and Facebook on Friday. The image showed Brexton hugging Kyle Busch. The photo had been taken on February 21. when Busch and his family celebrated his victory at the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series Fr8 Racing 208 at Echo Park Speedway in Georgia.
In the moments after Kyle Busch crossed the finish line at that race. Brexton rushed to greet him in emotional scenes—an image that now carries an even heavier weight with the news that came hours later this week. NASCAR had announced Busch’s death after the racing legend was hospitalized on Thursday with an unspecified severe illness.
Busch was not just a champion and a father—he was also a symbol inside the sport. The number he made famous will now stay tied to his name. Richard Childress Racing announced on Friday it had decided to retire Busch’s No 8. The team will race at Charlotte Motor Speedway this weekend with No 33 and will continue using that number “for the foreseeable future.”.
RCR said in a statement that Kyle Busch was instrumental in the design of RCR’s stylized No. 8 and that it “has become synonymous with Kyle and an important symbol for his fans and the NASCAR industry.” The team added. “No one can carry it forward to the level that he did.” The number will be suspended until Brexton is ready to join NASCAR. should he decide to follow his father’s footsteps.
Busch’s family life was always intertwined with his racing life. He was survived by his wife, Samantha, and their two children, Brexton and Lennix, four. The farewell also came after a week of sudden changes: Busch had been testing in the Chevrolet racing simulator in Concord on Wednesday when he became unresponsive and was transported to a hospital in Charlotte. A cause of death has not emerged.
In the final weeks before he died, Busch had been struggling with something. He radioed for medical assistance from his car in the middle of one of his final NASCAR races on May 10 in upstate New York, just days before his death.
An eerie video from May 16 resurfaced afterward showing Busch being asked whether he’d recovered from what he thought was simply a nasty cough. “I had a pretty – you can kind of still hear it. I’m still not great. ” Busch said. waving his hand to his face. “But er. the cough was pretty substantial.” It is unclear whether the sinus issues and cough were connected to the cause of his death.
Even as illness pulled at him, he kept racing. In his May 10 Cup Series appearance, Busch asked for medical aid urgently. With 38 laps to go, he told his team over the radio, “Can somebody try to find Bill Heisel?. He’s the kindred doctor guy. Tell him I need him after the race. please.” When he was asked whether he needed the doctor at his car or his bus. he replied. “Uh. bus. I’m going to need a shot.”.
The TV broadcast said Busch had been struggling with a sinus cold that was exacerbated by intense G-forces and elevation changes at the New York road course. He went on to claim his record fifth NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series trophy that day, despite clearly still struggling.
After Busch’s passing—coming just six days after his victory—another clip from his post-race interview returned to the public eye. After earning his 69th career Trucks Series race win with the triumph at Dover. he was asked how many races he wanted to win before he stops. Busch answered, “You take whatever you can get, man. You never know when the last one is going to be, so cherish them all – trust me.”.
Tributes poured in from NASCAR and across the racing world. NASCAR shared a statement on behalf of Busch’s family and his team. Richard Childress Racing. saying the entire NASCAR family is “heartbroken” by the loss of Kyle Busch. The statement described him as “a rare talent” and “a future Hall of Famer. ” adding that he was “fierce” and “immensely skilled. ” with a deep emotional connection to fans through the “Rowdy Nation.” It also said Kyle’s career spanned more than two decades. including record-setting national series wins. championships at NASCAR’s highest level. and helping foster the next generation of drivers as an owner in the Truck Series.
NASCAR said its thoughts are with Samantha. Brexton and Lennix. with Kyle and Samantha’s parents. Kurt and all of Kyle’s family. Richard and Judy Childress. everyone at Richard Childress Racing. his teammates. friends and fans. It asked people to respect the family’s privacy and to keep them in thoughts and prayers.
For Brexton, the tribute arrived in a simple picture—him embracing his dad—set against the sport’s grand gesture of retiring the No 8. In racing, numbers are history. This one will now hold a legacy until a boy is ready to decide whether to step into the same spotlight.
Kyle Busch Brexton Busch NASCAR No 8 retirement Richard Childress Racing Charlotte Motor Speedway NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series Fr8 Racing 208 Echo Park Speedway Dover Jeff Gluck Bill Heisel