Australia News

AFL would bar ex-CEO McLachlan from boards

AFL proposes – A package of proposed constitution changes would set a nine-year non-eligibility period for former AFL CEOs before they can sit on the AFL Commission, potentially affecting Gillon McLachlan after he stepped down as CEO in 2023 and moved to Tabcorp in 2024. The

When Gillon McLachlan stepped away from the AFL CEO role in 2023. he moved quickly into another top job at Tabcorp Holdings. taking over as CEO in August 2024.. Now. a proposal going to AFL clubs for feedback could block an ex-CEO from returning to the AFL Commission for years longer than many expect.

image

The AFL has put forward changes to the league’s constitution that would make a former AFL CEO ineligible to sit on the AFL Commission until 2032 under a nine-year non-eligibility period after their departure from the top executive role.. The proposal is one component of a wider set of reforms already flagged by incoming commission chair Craig Drummond.

The AFL Commission’s nine-year non-eligibility period for former CEOs would sit alongside proposed nine-year term limits for commissioners. with five changes expected to occur gradually by the end of 2028.. Under the draft approach. future members of the AFL Commission would face nine years or three three-year terms. served consecutively or non-consecutively. with the possibility terms could be extended if a serving commissioner was appointed chair.

image

The timeline matters because the constitutional changes still need the endorsement of three quarters of the 18 existing clubs to pass. with hopes the proposals can be agreed at the end of June.. The AFL Commission’s structure dates back to 1993. when clubs handed authority to the league to make decisions in the best interests of the game.

Drummond’s chair role began in March after an elongated process to find a replacement for Richard Goyder. and clubs had criticised the lack of succession planning.. Five current commissioners appointed in 2017 or before remain on the panel. including Paul Bassat. the longest serving member. who has been on the commission since 2012.

image

The league also says the former-CEO restriction reflects a common corporate governance practice: a “cooling-off” period after a CEO resigns. designed to give new leadership clean air to operate without a recently departed executive on the board.. Importantly, the AFL Commission has not previously had a former AFL CEO serve on it.

A package like this is shaped by multiple moving parts already in motion.. The proposed nine-year limits for commissioners sit alongside the nine-year non-eligibility period for ex-CEOs. and both measures depend on the same rule for change: three quarters of the 18 clubs backing the constitutional reform. with the AFL hoping for a decision by the end of June.

image

Separately. Essendon’s injury troubles and the club’s precarious position on the ladder are sharpening the pressure heading into a crucial fortnight for coach Brad Scott.. Essendon lost ruckman Peter Wright to knee ligament damage ahead of a three-match stretch against Richmond, West Coast and Carlton.

Scott confirmed Wright will miss at least one game after scans following Sunday’s 43-point loss to Fremantle showed knee ligament damage.. “Yeah, it’s not good,” Scott said on Fox Footy.. “In the first quarter he actually got a knock in the knee in the ruck…he managed to play out the game under some duress. but the scans have shown a bit of PCL and MCL damage.. He definitely won’t play this week.. We’re hopeful it’s only a couple of weeks.”

image

That setback adds to a broader sense of strain at the club. with Matthew Lloyd warning the Bombers were in “crisis”.. Lloyd said he was concerned about Scott’s future heading into the difficult period. telling the AFL website it would be especially damaging if Essendon lose to Richmond.. “I’d hate to think what happens. in terms of for Brad Scott. if they are to lose to Richmond because I just think that’s a win that they’ve just got to pencil in and win.. That will just show them where they’re at both internally and externally as a club.”

Essendon (1-9) face Richmond on Friday night in a Dreamtime clash between the bottom two clubs before taking on West Coast in Perth.

image

Alongside the on-field challenges, the Dreamtime at the ’G has also shifted off-field.. Richmond’s home match at the ’G was initially the only Dreamtime game slated to be fully ticketed this season. after high demand led the Tigers to label it fully ticketed to ensure all fans could enjoy the blockbuster experience.. The Tigers have since reversed that earlier decision, moving to general admission walk-ups after initially being described as fully ticketed.

The AFL’s prediction for the Dreamtime crowd is 72. 000. with both clubs rebuilding lists and occupying the bottom two spots on the ladder with a 1-9 win-loss record.. The Tigers are aiming to make at least one change after defender Campbell Gray hurt his hamstring against the Saints. but the selection could extend to as many as four changes if required. with a team of 23 and three emergencies.

image

Mykelti Lefau, Samson Ryan, Jasper Alger and Kaleb Smith are all likely to be available.. Tom Sims is nearing a return via the VFL, while the club is still determining his return-to-play schedule.. Nick Vlastuin was not cited by the match review officer for a dangerous tackle on Saint Ryan Byrnes. and Byrnes received a free kick but his head did not hit the ground and he played on.

For Essendon, their Sunday loss at a MCG crowd of 25,100 followed Fremantle’s 43-point win, while Richmond’s setback came in a 36-point loss to St Kilda at Marvel Stadium before 31,000 fans.

image

There are also selection questions across both sides. Luke Trainor (dislocated finger) and Sam Grjl (corkie) are both expected to be fit. Steely Green had a scan on his thumb on Monday, and the Tigers expect him to be available as well.

On the fixture front. Carlton and St Kilda will launch the 2026 AFLW season with a double-header at Marvel Stadium on August 9. featuring both the women’s and men’s teams for the annual “Spud’s Game.” The event has been confirmed by the league’s executive general manager of football Laura Kane on Monday.

image

The women’s game between St Kilda and Carlton starts at 4.35pm, followed by the round 22 men’s match at 7.20pm. It is the first of five double-headers scheduled for when the AFLW and AFL seasons overlap.

Supporters of the format argue it brings greater spotlight to the women’s game through a larger, different audience and the chance to play in bigger venues. Critics say only the most committed fans will stay in the stadium for six hours, risking a weaker crowd for the early game.

image

Kane framed the lead-up around player feedback. saying: “Success looks like lots of people coming. lots of people watching. the players integrating. and fans of these two clubs seeing both of their teams at Marvel Stadium back to back.. I was asked a few things by the players, our captains in particular …. and they wanted to play rep footy. they wanted to play double-headers with the boys. and they wanted to play in stadiums like this one [Marvel]. so they have to come up with a few more things for us to get our skates on with the next year.”

The fixture announcement comes in a big week for AFLW. with coaching changes locked in at Hawthorn and Richmond. and the league confirming an AFLW v Ireland representative fixture on August 1.. With 46 Irish players across the AFLW competition. the clash marks the first AFLW representative fixture since Victoria played the Allies in 2017.

AFL AFL Commission Gillon McLachlan Tabcorp Craig Drummond Brad Scott Peter Wright Dreamtime at the ’G Richmond Essendon AFLW double-header Marvel Stadium Spud’s Game

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Are you human? Please solve:Captcha


Secret Link