Canada News

Park Avenue residence of Canada consul general sold

The former Park Avenue home of Canada’s consul general in New York has been sold after nearly two years on the market, with the sale price reported online as US$8.05 million. Global Affairs Canada has not yet confirmed the price.

The former Park Avenue residence used by Canada’s consul general in New York has been sold after nearly two years on the market, closing out a property file that had drawn scrutiny in Canada.

Global Affairs Canada has not yet confirmed the sale price. In March, the department said it had received an offer on the residence.

Online listings reviewed through realtor websites put the final number at US$8.05 million.. One realtor website said the five-bedroom apartment on Park Avenue sold on May 11.. Another website said the sale amount was also US$8.05 million. but that it had been reached earlier in March—around the time Global Affairs Canada confirmed it had an offer.

image

The apartment was first listed for US$9.5 million—reported as C$13 million—in August 2024.. Senior government officials said at the time the move was necessary because the residence needed millions of dollars in renovations.. That same year. Global Affairs Canada bought a new luxury condominium for C$9 million to serve as the official residence for its consul general in New York.

The condo purchase sparked international headlines when some New York websites initially reported the deal involved King Charles. pointing to a deed description that said it was sold to “His Majesty the King in right of Canada.” It also met backlash in Canada.. Conservatives said the new apartment—on “Billionaires’ Row” near Central Park—was wasteful and opulent while Canadians were struggling to pay their bills.

In response, consul general Tom Clark was called to testify in a House of Commons committee about the apartments. Clark, a former CTV journalist, told the committee he had nothing to do with the purchase of the new apartment, nor the sale of the old residence.

The committee heard that the Park Avenue home was not in compliance with Canada’s accessibility legislation.. Witnesses also said the co-operative board in charge of the building imposed restrictions on events that could be held on site. and that there was a lack of separation between family and work spaces.. Concerns about the residence were first raised in 2014, with plans for renovations then put on hold during the COVID-19 pandemic.

image

Committee testimony further described how renovation costs rose and were ultimately not expected to solve some fundamental issues with the apartment.. Government officials at the time argued that buying a new property in Steinway Tower—a building described as the world’s thinnest skyscraper—would save Canadian taxpayers money.

While that newer condominium deal moved ahead, the Park Avenue residence itself took longer to sell. Online realtor websites show the price dropped in June 2025 and then again to US$7.9 million last September.

Across the timeline. the file shows the same sequence of decision-making and follow-through: officials said renovations would require millions and pursued a new condominium for C$9 million. while the Park Avenue apartment—first listed at US$9.5 million in August 2024—later saw price cuts (to US$7.9 million in September) and ultimately drew an offer in March. before closing with an online-reported US$8.05 million figure tied to a May 11 sale.

For now, the exact sale price remains unconfirmed by Global Affairs Canada. The department has said only that it received an offer in March, and the realtor listings place the final transaction at US$8.05 million.

Canada Global Affairs Canada consul general New York Park Avenue residence Tom Clark Steinway Tower accessibility legislation House of Commons committee

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Are you human? Please solve:Captcha


Secret Link