Technology

OSHA opens probe after worker dies at Starbase

OSHA opens – A worker died at SpaceX’s Starbase launch site in South Texas on May 15, and OSHA has opened an investigation into the apparent accident. Details are still unclear, while the death lands days before the first planned launch of SpaceX’s upgraded Starship rocket

By 4:17 a.m. local time on May 15, a life was already gone at SpaceX’s Starbase launch site in South Texas.

OSHA has now stepped in.. The agency opened an investigation into the apparent accident after the death of an unidentified worker. confirmed through OSHA and local officials. with the San Antonio Express-News reporting the time of death and the Wall Street Journal later noting that the county sheriff also confirmed the death.

SpaceX’s Starbase facility is not a place where delays are supposed to linger. It is both a launch site and an active construction zone, handling Starship prototype launches while crews build and test hardware for the next phase.

The problem, for now, is that the situation still cannot be pinned down publicly.. OSHA confirmed it is investigating. but it told TechCrunch it will not release more information until the investigation is complete. which could take months.. Nearby public safety departments—the Brownsville police and fire departments—did not respond to requests for comment.. SpaceX and the newly incorporated city of Starbase also did not respond.

What is clear is the timing. The death comes just a few days ahead of the first planned launch of SpaceX’s upgraded Starship rocket.

It is also arriving as the company prepares for a major financial moment. SpaceX is reportedly releasing the detailed prospectus for its initial public offering this week, expected to be the biggest ever when the transaction takes place next month.

The unanswered questions are not new to Starbase, though.. In 2025. TechCrunch analyzed OSHA data and found the Texas launch site had an injury rate that far outpaced those of industry rivals and was the most dangerous of SpaceX’s worksites.. A 2023 Reuters investigation had previously described dozens of injuries that had not been reported. and also pointed to a worker death in 2014 at SpaceX’s McGregor. Texas. test site.

Earlier this year, OSHA’s enforcement actions at Starbase underscored that scrutiny had been building.. In January. OSHA hit SpaceX with seven “serious” safety violations. including a failure to properly inspect a crane before it collapsed at Starbase last June.. OSHA applied the maximum financial penalty on six of those seven violations, totaling $115,850.. SpaceX is contesting those penalties, according to federal records.

Starbase has also faced legal claims tied to injuries.. In December. an employee of one of SpaceX’s subcontractors sued after he was crushed by a large metal support dropped from a crane.. The worker. Eduardo Cavazos. suffered a broken hip. knee. and tibia. and OSHA opened a “rapid response investigation. ” as TechCrunch first reported in December.

That rapid response investigation has since ended without punitive action, according to a TechCrunch public records request.. The lawsuit itself was recently dropped because Cavazos’ employer. the subcontractor. provides workers compensation insurance that prevents the company from being sued. according to Cavazos’ attorney.

In the months and years ahead. OSHA’s investigation will determine what can be said about the May 15 death—what happened. where. and what safeguards failed or held.. For now. the one thing that doesn’t change is the scale of what’s at stake: Starbase is where SpaceX brings prototypes to life. and where a single incident can abruptly cut through schedules. safety promises. and momentum.

OSHA SpaceX Starbase Starship worker death workplace safety crane collapse Texas launches cybersecurity

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Are you human? Please solve:Captcha


Secret Link