Trending now

From deal hopes to radio silence: April Iran talks

Iran war – As the April 18 weekend neared, U.S. and Iran appeared close to ending a seven-week war. Behind the scenes, Pakistani mediators tried to push a compromise in Iran, but President Trump’s public messaging—about provisions and even who would attend—kept clashing

When April 18 approached, the idea of a breakthrough felt close enough to touch. The U.S. and Iran, at the time locked in what was described as a seven-week war, appeared to be narrowing in on a deal to end it. Pakistani mediators had spent days in Iran trying to bridge the gap.

By Friday, April 17, the mood was that something might move fast. Several messages sent to me told me to prepare for a second round of in-person talks as soon as that weekend.

Then President Trump began doing the one thing his staffers had hoped would not happen.. In a series of social media posts and phone interviews with reporters. he claimed Iran had agreed to “a host of provisions” that. according to messages I received from sources. had not yet been finalized.. He also said in-person talks were set to take place—but announced that Vice President Vance would not be attending.

Administration officials I had been speaking with all weekend said that was not true.. They maintained Vance was planning to travel.. Later that day. the White House sent a statement confirming Vance was. in fact. traveling to Pakistan for the talks. alongside Trump’s special envoy Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner.

“Things changed,” one White House official told me.

Over the next 48 hours, they kept changing.

On Monday. April 20. Trump told the New York Post that Vance was already on his way to Pakistan—even though Vance was still in Washington.. The mismatch wasn’t theoretical.. Air Force Two was described as idling on the tarmac at Joint Base Andrews. while several reporters had already left for Pakistan when news broke that the trip was on hold.

Soon afterward, the Iranians went radio silent and refused to commit to sending their officials to Pakistan for the meeting. Hours later, a frustrated Trump declared a ceasefire, arguing the Iranians were divided over a path forward and that more time was needed.

The story did not stop there. Just days later, plans for in-person talks were back on the table again, and this time Trump would send only Witkoff and Kushner to Pakistan.

But the Iranians claimed they had no intention of meeting with U.S. officials, despite the White House publicly confirming the meeting was on. By Saturday, April 25, the plans for in-person talks were called off again.

The sequence is hard to miss: each public turn—about provisions, attendance, and timing—met a reality on the ground that was shifting just as fast. And once the Iranians went silent and refused to commit, the window for a negotiated breakthrough narrowed until it closed.

Iran United States Trump Vance Steve Witkoff Jared Kushner ceasefire Pakistan mediators April 2026 talks seven-week war April 18 weekend April 25 talks called off

4 Comments

  1. Wait wasn’t this about Pakistan mediating? Why is everyone announcing who’s attending like it’s a sports game. Makes no sense.

  2. This reads like Iran got mad because Vance didn’t go, which is wild cause I thought they wanted a ceasefire. Also “radio silent” sounds like propaganda, like they’re hiding something.

  3. Every time Trump posts something on social media it backfires, like he can’t just let the diplomats do their job. I mean first it’s a deal, then Vance is supposedly not coming, then Air Force Two is sitting there, then suddenly ceasefire?? That’s not diplomacy that’s like cancelling plans 5 times. Also I saw something on TikTok that said Kushner messed it up so… who knows.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Are you human? Please solve:Captcha


Secret Link