Austin orders shelter in place after weekend shootings

Austin shelter – Austin Mayor Kirk Watson said two suspects were being sought after at least 10 weekend shootings, including at fire stations, injured four people. Police Chief Lisa Davis said the incidents appeared to involve stealing vehicles as the suspects moved around, pr
AUSTIN, Texas — Austin tightened safety for residents in a large part of the city’s southside on Sunday, ordering a shelter in place while investigators searched for two suspects linked to at least 10 shootings over the weekend.
The shootings began Saturday night and spilled into Sunday morning, with two incidents at fire stations. Police Chief Lisa Davis said four people were injured: one with serious injuries and three others with minor ones.
Austin Mayor Kirk Watson addressed the situation at a news conference, saying an investigation remains underway. “We don’t have any specific motive that has been identified. In fact, these actions appear to be random,” Watson said. “It appears that as part of this, people are changing vehicles.”
Davis said the suspects appeared to be stealing vehicles as they traveled. Police identified the suspects as Hispanic men in their late teens and released what appeared to be screenshots taken from video.
Davis added that at least four vehicles have been used by the suspects, describing how the attacks spread across multiple locations without any motive identified so far.
The timeline Watson and Davis laid out forms a tight chain: shootings over Saturday night into Sunday morning. injuries reported from those incidents including two fire-station attacks. and a continuing search tied to suspicions of stolen vehicles—along with a citywide shelter-in-place order for south Austin while that vehicle-linked investigation plays out.
Austin Texas shelter in place weekend shootings fire stations Kirk Watson Lisa Davis vehicle theft suspects identified