Entertainment

White House Shooting Suspect Dead After Checkpoint Attack

White House – The Secret Service says the suspected shooter who fired at an agency checkpoint near 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW has died, while a bystander was struck and remains in critical condition. Officials say no Secret Service officers or protectees were in

Gunfire near the White House moved fast—so fast that officers returned fire, a suspected shooter was hit and taken to a hospital, and a bystander was also struck during the chaos.

The Secret Service confirmed Saturday, May 23, that the alleged shooter who opened fire at Secret Service agents near the White House has died. A spokesperson for the agency also said a bystander was injured during the violent incident and is currently in critical condition.

The attack was reported at a Secret Service checkpoint at 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW in Washington, D.C. Secret Service Chief of Communications Anthony Guglielmi described the sequence to Us Weekly on Saturday: “Shortly after 6 p.m. Saturday. an individual in the area of 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue pulled a weapon from his bag and began firing.” He said Secret Service Police returned fire. striking the suspect who was transported to an area hospital where he was pronounced deceased.

image

During the shooting, Guglielmi said, “one bystander was also struck by gunfire.” He added, “No injuries were sustained by officers.”

The statement also addressed the President’s position. “The President [Donald Trump] was in the White House during the incident. however no protectees or operations were impacted.” The Secret Service said the incident “remains under investigation and additional information will be released as it becomes available.”.

image

The federal response was immediate as well. The FBI said it was on scene and supporting Secret Service responding to shots fired near the White House grounds. with FBI Director Kash Patel tweeting. “we will update the public as we’re able.” Earlier in the night. a Secret Service spokesperson told Us that the agency was “gathering information and will have more on this incident shortly.”.

White House reporters on the premises were moved to safety. They were rushed into a briefing room and locked down for around 40 minutes. “I was in the middle of taping on my iPhone for a social video from the White House North Lawn when we heard the shots. ” ABC News White House correspondent Selina Wang tweeted at the time. “It sounded like dozens of gunshots. We were told to sprint to the press briefing room where we are holding now.”.

image

The incident lands less than one month after another high-profile shooting episode connected to the White House Correspondents’ Dinner. On April 25. during the annual White House Correspondents’ Dinner. shots erupted at the Washington Hilton near the main magnetometer in the lobby. President Donald Trump. 79. first lady Melania Trump. vice president JD Vance. and other administration officials were inside the Hilton’s ballroom when gunfire erupted. They were rushed out of the ballroom within moments of the shooting.

In that later case, the suspected shooter was Cole Tomas Allen. The material says Allen allegedly shot a Secret Service agent in their protective vest during crossfire. and the agent was rushed to a local hospital for treatment. with Trump later saying the agent was saved by his security vest. Allen. 31. was charged with attempting to assassinate the president. interstate transportation of weapons and discharge of a firearm during a violent crime. and pleaded not guilty during a May 11 court hearing.

image

There is also reporting tied to Allen’s name. CNN reported that investigators matched the name of the suspected shooter with someone they’d had “multiple encounters with in and around the White House.” Us reached out to the White House and Secret Service for comment.

The next day. Trump said he thanked Melania Trump for her reaction to the earlier “traumatic” shooting at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner. On Saturday. April 25. Trump told reporters from the White House. “I want to thank the first lady. that was a rather traumatic experience for her.” He added. “We’re not going to let anybody take over our society. […]”.

White House shooting Secret Service Washington D.C. checkpoint attack bystander injured Anthony Guglielmi FBI Kash Patel Donald Trump Melania Trump JD Vance Cole Tomas Allen

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Are you human? Please solve:Captcha


Secret Link