USA Today

Suspect dies after shooting at White House checkpoint

shooting near – A person who opened fire near a White House security checkpoint Saturday died after being shot by officers who returned fire, according to the U.S. Secret Service. The incident—described as the third gunfire episode near President Donald Trump in the past mont

Shots rang out near a White House security checkpoint just after 6 p.m. ET on Saturday, and reporters covering the White House were quickly told to run for shelter.

The U.S. Secret Service said a person who approached the checkpoint “pulled a weapon from his bag” and began firing. Officers returned fire, hitting the suspect. The suspect was taken to a hospital and later died.

The Secret Service identified the suspect as 21-year-old Nasire Best. A law enforcement official later said Best was the person in the area, speaking on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the investigation.

Secret Service officials said none of their officers were injured, and that President Donald Trump—who was at the White House at the time—was not “impacted.”

A bystander was struck during the incident, and a law enforcement official said it was not clear whether the person was hit by the suspect’s initial bullets or by rounds fired afterward by officers.

Journalists working at the White House on Saturday evening reported hearing a series of gunshots and being told to seek shelter inside the press briefing room, where operations were continuing even as the scene unfolded nearby.

On social media, FBI Director Kash Patel said officers were responding to shots fired and that he would update the public as information became available.

Outside the White House complex, evidence from the shooting was visible on a sidewalk. Yellow crime scene tape snaked across the pavement. and Secret Service officers placed dozens of orange evidence markers on the ground. Medical material. including what appeared to be purple surgical gloves and kits typically used by emergency medical personnel. was also seen.

ABC News senior White House correspondent Selina Wang shared video on X showing the moment she says she heard what “sounded like dozens of gunshots” while she was taping a routine social media video from the White House North Lawn. In the clip. she described being told to take cover as she ducked down in the media tent along the White House driveway. Wang wrote that she was performing a daily routine when the gunfire began; the post had been shared thousands of times by Saturday evening and had been viewed at least 3 million times.

The Metropolitan Police Department said on its X account that the Secret Service was working the scene and cautioned people to avoid the area.

The location is near where a gunman ambushed two members of the West Virginia National Guard last November. U.S. Army Specialist Sarah Beckstrom, 20, died from her wounds, Andrew Wolfe, then 24, was critically wounded, and Rahmanullah Lakanwal has been charged in that incident.

Saturday’s shooting came as the White House security perimeter remains under intense scrutiny after a string of recent incidents near President Trump. The Secret Service said the new case was the third instance of gunfire in the vicinity of Trump in the past month.

In April, there was gunfire connected to the White House Correspondents’ Association Dinner. Law enforcement authorities described an attempted assassination on April 25 while Trump attended the event at a Washington hotel. Cole Tomas Allen. of Torrance. California. pleaded not guilty to charges that he attempted to kill Trump and remains in federal custody.

In early May, Secret Service officers shot a suspect after gunfire near the Washington Monument—also near the White House. Michael Marx, 45, of Midland, Texas, was charged in a complaint filed in U.S. District Court in connection with the May 4 shooting, and a teenage bystander was wounded.

The Secret Service has said it will continue investigating the Saturday incident, while police and prosecutors sort out what happened in the seconds between the first shots and the officers’ response.

White House Secret Service Nasire Best shooting Trump security checkpoint FBI Kash Patel Washington DC

4 Comments

  1. So… he pulled a weapon from his bag? That seems like something they should’ve noticed sooner.

  2. I don’t get how it’s the third gunfire thing near Trump in a month but also nobody was impacted. Like how do you not get impacted if shots are that close?

  3. Wait was the bystander hit by the guy or by police? They say it’s not clear so now everyone just gonna assume either side. Nasire Best too young to die for real.

  4. Yellow tape and orange markers like it’s a movie scene, but this is wild. Also why are they calling it a checkpoint like it’s normal? If Trump wasn’t impacted, that’s good, but the press literally got told to run for shelter… doesn’t sound like “not impacted” to me.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Are you human? Please solve:Captcha


Secret Link