USA Today

Omar faces renewed scrutiny after Feeding Our Future fraud

Omar faces – Aimee Bock, founder of the Minnesota nonprofit at the center of the Feeding Our Future fraud case, was sentenced Thursday to 41 years in prison. The ruling is reigniting Republican scrutiny of Rep. Ilhan Omar, D-Minn., over alleged ties to people convicted in

By the time the sentence was handed down. the Feeding Our Future fraud case was no longer just a set of allegations—it had become a map of how federal child-nutrition money was diverted. counted. and stolen. And for Rep. Ilhan Omar. D-Minn. the 41-year prison term delivered to the scandal’s ringleader has reopened a fight over what she knew. and what her role enabled.

On Thursday. Aimee Bock—the founder and former executive director of Feeding Our Future—was sentenced to 41 years in prison after prosecutors said she oversaw a network of fake meal sites that stole federal nutrition funds intended to feed low-income children during the COVID-19 pandemic. More than 60 individuals. most of them members of Minnesota’s Somali immigrant community. have been convicted in the broader Feeding Our Future scandal. in which fraudsters pocketed hundreds of millions of dollars from a federally funded child nutrition program.

Bock’s sentence has renewed scrutiny of Omar. who has faced repeated accusations from Republicans about her ties to people convicted in the scheme. Federal prosecutors have not charged Omar or accused her of participating in the fraud. Still, Republicans argue that Omar weakened guardrails around the program that allowed fraudulent meal sites to bill the government. They have also zeroed in on alleged connections between Omar and convicted figures. citing an 84-page report released by a Minnesota fraud committee earlier this month.

In an explosive interview with The New York Post, Bock alleged—without evidence—that Omar was likely aware of restaurant owners billing the government for falsified or inflated claims. “I struggle to believe that she wouldn’t have known,” Bock told the outlet, referring to Omar.

Omar denies wrongdoing. She told Fox News Digital this week that “any claim that I had knowledge of this scheme is flat-out false.” In the same statement. she said. “As I stated from the beginning. stealing millions of dollars under the guise of feeding hungry children to bankroll lavish lifestyles and extravagant expenses is reprehensible. ” and added. “I’m grateful that Aimee Bock and every individual involved in this abhorrent scheme are being held accountable for defrauding taxpayers and betraying vulnerable children.”.

image

The tension between denial and the committee’s findings is now playing out in a series of disputes over documents and access. Omar declined a request from Minnesota’s Fraud Prevention and State Agency Oversight Committee to hand over her communications with Feeding Our Future defendants and records related to promoting the program with state officials and constituents. Democrats on the panel subsequently blocked an attempt to subpoena those communications.

The Minnesota House Fraud Prevention and State Agency Oversight Committee report pointed to “direct ties” between Omar and individuals later convicted in the scheme. One of those convicted defendants is Omar’s one-time staffer. Guhaad Hashi. described as the “enforcer” of Omar’s prior congressional campaigns. Hashi pleaded guilty in August to conspiring to commit wire fraud and money laundering after setting up a fraudulent food program site called Advance Youth Athletic Development to siphon off taxpayer dollars for personal use. Prosecutors said the entity submitted claims for serving more than 1 million meals while Hashi served just a “fraction” of those meals. and received nearly $3 million in reimbursements.

The report also highlights Omar’s involvement with a Somali-language promotional effort during the pandemic. In May 2020. Omar spotlighted a Somali-owned restaurant as a meal distribution site where low-income children could receive meals during the COVID-19 pandemic in a Somali-language video. Salim Said, the since-defunct restaurant’s co-owner, was later convicted in the Feeding Our Future scheme alongside Bock. Federal prosecutors allege the restaurant received more than $16 million in fraudulent child nutrition funds used for self-enrichment.

image

In that promotional video. Omar said. “I’m very thankful for Safari for being part of those places where food is being given out. ” adding. “That’s a very important thing.” She claimed the restaurant gave out 2. 300 meals daily. The report says the restaurant hosted Omar and her supporters at a 2018 election-night watch party.

Republicans’ scrutiny extends beyond alleged personal connections to Omar’s legislative role in the program’s structure. State lawmakers allege Omar helped “create the conditions that led to Feeding Our Future” by “removing the guardrails” from the federal nutrition program through her MEALS Act. which passed Congress as part of a sweeping pandemic relief package.

Her provision. lawmakers allege. allowed a broad range of “off-site” locations. including restaurants. to participate in the child nutrition program and waived requirements that made it difficult to verify billing claims from meal sites. When waivers allowing restaurants to participate in the meal program were set to expire. Omar urged the Trump administration to extend them. State lawmakers allege that advocacy “undoubtedly helped the fraud expand.”.

image

Omar counters those claims in a statement to Fox News Digital. She pointed out that her provision was signed into law by President Donald Trump and implemented by his administration. “The MEALS Act was signed into law by President Trump and passed with bipartisan support as part of a broader legislative package. ” Omar said. She added that “Trump’s USDA Secretary set the regulatory framework during the rollout of the program.”.

Omar also said that after she learned about the fraud. she “immediately sent a letter to the USDA secretary demanding answers and accountability.” Minnesota State Rep. Kristin Robbins. R-Minn. disputed that timeline. telling Fox News Digital that “She only sent a letter once the fraud was exposed.” Robbins said. “Prior to that. she sent letters urging the administration to keep the waivers in place — allowing the fraud to continue. Sounds like revisionist history. I don’t buy it at all.”.

As the case continues to reverberate, Omar’s political vulnerability has expanded beyond Feeding Our Future. The “Squad” lawmaker has also come under recent scrutiny over alleged immigration fraud and her family’s finances. Vice President JD Vance said earlier this week that the Department of Justice is investigating Omar. though the department has yet to confirm the probe.

“You read the things about Ilhan Omar and about who she married and whether she didn’t marry this person or that person,” Vance told reporters. “It certainly seems like something fishy is there.”

Omar fired back in an interview with Fox News Digital, saying Vance is “saying stupid s—.” “That is not something that is happening. That man is delusional,” she added.

The Department of Justice and the White House were contacted by Fox News Digital before publication. but it is the court sentence on Thursday—the 41-year term for a central figure—that has most sharply tightened the spotlight on Omar again. even as prosecutors have not charged her with any role in the fraud.

Feeding Our Future fraud Ilhan Omar MEALS Act Aimee Bock Guhaad Hashi Salim Said Minnesota fraud committee child nutrition program wire fraud money laundering

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Are you human? Please solve:Captcha


Secret Link